Thinking about rear window mod

denpo

Carburated Nihilist
I had this in mind for some time, modding the rear window, à la Baldwin motion phase III.
Giving some angle to the rear window, to get some more room in the back without ruining the general shape.
I though about not putting it flush like the baldwin, but a couple of inch recessed.
It shouldn't be that complex, cutting some body.
The problem is finding a donor window, which would match the hole, basically a large as a stock one, but taller.
At this point I need you guy, don't know shit about american cars and wondering what kind of car I should look for to find such window.

Note: sure there is place that can make you a custom cut glass, but I'd like to keep a rear defroster.

Last edited:
NO guarantees.....BUT, the only car that I remember from back when that maybe comes close is a '67-68? Plymouth Barracuda.....we called them Backarudas in the day....Fast Back Barracuda.....

:eek:

I believe the old Baracudas had a curved glass. I'm sure denpo is going to need a flat glass. I'm thinking when Eckler's made their hatch back kit the glass came out of a Vega hatch or maybe they just used the entire hatch. I would just have a glass made. Not that complicated ... just a piece of 1/4" plate glass cut to size, then tempered..... or have a piece of laminated glass cut (same as your windshield). The laminated glass can be bought with a smoke or bronze tint already in the glass. (Never use UN-tempered plate glass in an auto).

I believe the old Baracudas had a curved glass. I'm sure denpo is going to need a flat glass. I'm thinking when Eckler's made their hatch back kit the glass came out of a Vega hatch or maybe they just used the entire hatch. I would just have a glass made. Not that complicated ... just a piece of 1/4" plate glass cut to size, then tempered..... or have a piece of laminated glass cut (same as your windshield). The laminated glass can be bought with a smoke or bronze tint already in the glass. (Never use UN-tempered plate glass in an auto).
You're right, flat glass.
I've check on wikipedia, laminated glass is for windshield, tempered for side and rear window.
I'll go ask the glazier nearby about the price of such a piece.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Why not to ask to a glass shop...... a tempered glass is usually used in fornitures (tables, for exaple)..... may some shop is able to cut the glass under your drawings...!

Why not to ask to a glass shop...... a tempered glass is usually used in fornitures (tables, for exaple)..... may some shop is able to cut the glass under your drawings...!
Just what I was saying, glazier is just a fancy word for glass shop. I'm having way too much body part issue with my resto right now, so I'm postponing this a little. Did some test in 3D Max, and the results are encouraging.

If you are so motivated, I think it would be nice to have a functional hatch window out back. Maybe a Monza or Vega hatch rear glass could be made to function in a C-3?

OH, you talking of the flat glass like in the rear of a '68-77? coupe....

I can only tell of my experience here in Florida for laminated safety plate glass for the flat front and rear windows on the motor home....

the typical glass shops, some of them chain stores...wanted 80+ bux for one piece, and 50 each for the 2 section rear glass.....

did some shopping around....40 bux each end...TOTAL of 80 bux....

and they did their own cutting right on site, tinted and all....

if this guy can cut it, surely others in your area can also....

now this just fit into a flat aluminum frame but for the vette I sure there has to be some surround....to that I can't know...

:nuts:

If you are so motivated, I think it would be nice to have a functional hatch window out back. Maybe a Monza or Vega hatch rear glass could be made to function in a C-3?
I think I see what you mean and I wouldn't take that way.
I do not like the look of the later C3.
Quick screenshot for 3DsMax :

16554d37c1f8370f6.jpg

My idea is to not touch the overall shape, stay stealth still have a little more room inside.

If you wanna know, I do this for my second love (the vette is third)

16554d37b1c84da00.jpg
16554d37b14152251.jpg

She's just as smart as she's cute and love to take car ride.
I never had the opportunity actually to take her in the vette, the car was not reliable enough to take long rides, but everytime I took her to the garage she rushed inside the car, right behind the seat,
but the room is just too small.

Have you considered the glass from a convertible top?
No, that didn't crossed my mind, but I think i would be a shame to tear apart such a part just to pick a piece of flat glass that might no be the exact size, given you can get one cut at the glass shop.
thanks for the tip however.

I think I see what you mean and I wouldn't take that way.
I do not like the look of the later C3.
Quick screenshot for 3DsMax :

16554d37c1f8370f6.jpg

My idea is to not touch the overall shape, stay stealth still have a little more room inside.

If you wanna know, I do this for my second love (the vette is third)

16554d37b1c84da00.jpg
16554d37b14152251.jpg

She's just as smart as she's cute and love to take car ride.
I never had the opportunity actually to take her in the vette, the car was not reliable enough to take long rides, but everytime I took her to the garage she rushed inside the car, right behind the seat,
but the room is just too small.

I understand the rear window appearance issue. I have both a 69 and 79 and prefer the looks of the earlier C-3 myself. That said, my 79 has an aftermarket hatch glass and the extra room and convenience makes it totally worth while. Your pet could easily fit in the back in a late model C-3 with a hatch window. The only way to get one these days is to find a good 82 CE model with a functional hinge. I can fit two mounted drag radial tires, a jack and tools in the back of mine with the passenger seat all the way forward.

1969_BaldwinMotion_CorvettePhaseIIIGT2.jpg

If I had to have a coupe, that's the one to have, that is GREAT!!

got any more pix of it...or a site by chance??

That would be a Baldwin Motion Phase III car . Just Google image it and you will find more pictures.
I guess I should have post a link to it in the first place, thanks Gene for illustrating my thought.
However I think they when too far. I want to retain the feeling of fin around the rear window, that make part of the shark shape.

Denpo,
I've been thinking about the same thing to make installing a roll bar much easier and allow for the angled uprights to the main hoop. You have any ideas about how your going to finish the interior off?

Denpo,
I've been thinking about the same thing to make installing a roll bar much easier and allow for the angled uprights to the main hoop. You have any ideas about how your going to finish the interior off?
Yeah, though a little about that.
Fact is, Sovan, my faithfull restoration buddy is a cabinet maker, so doing the window frame with wood is our first option. I mean, with some good paint or wrapping who could tell wood from cheap plastic? We kept what's remaining of the old window frame as a template.
Maybe once done we could make a mold and redo in fiberglass, but frankly I think this would be overkill.