The VetteMOD project

By the way, something else I have been thinking about is an aluminum differential cover. It would save some weight and look nice. I've been thinking about putting a later model batwing in mine but that will require welding. A cover would be a bolt on.

They already make covers

If I could get a pitman arm that I don't have to do myself I would do it in an instant

Because of a dramatic difference in height, the Jeep box cannot be installed in a C3 AND have the input aligned with the steering column unless you raise the column (and lower the other end into your lap). This means you have to rotate it and this raises the pitman arm. The good news is that raising the pitman arm will improve bumpsteer (idler arm has to be rotated also).
Yeah, I think the Jeep box is about 7/8" longer from the centerline of the input shaft to the end of the pitman arm. But the pitman shaft could be shortened. Actually I am considering a whole new casting for the box with mounting ears to fit a Vette and then a shortened pitman shaft. I haven't opened up a Jeep box yet to see how much machining would be required internally. I'm just looking at different possibilities at this point. It seems like there would be a lot of interest if it was a true bolt on that didn't screw up your steering geometry or put the steering wheel on your lap.

Yeah, I think the Jeep box is about 7/8" longer from the centerline of the input shaft to the end of the pitman arm. But the pitman shaft could be shortened. Actually I am considering a whole new casting for the box with mounting ears to fit a Vette and then a shortened pitman shaft. I haven't opened up a Jeep box yet to see how much machining would be required internally. I'm just looking at different possibilities at this point. It seems like there would be a lot of interest if it was a true bolt on that didn't screw up your steering geometry or put the steering wheel on your lap.

You would not only have to shorten the height, you woulh have to shorten the overhang at the front of the box. Look at the front corner of the Jeep box in my drawing, it's basically resting on the frame.

If I were going to make a new case for the box I think I would mod the Vette box instead and put a modern PS servo on it, gotta be less work.

bat clown?? That's funny

Jerry-1.gif

But Oh, so truly accurate

Just my .02.

I think there are a lot of people that would like a R&P that wouldn't have the drawbacks of the kits out there. Seems like the problems are pretty well known. TT, didn't you look into doing a forward mount R&P at one time?

I didn't just "look" into it :) I actually did it :D

This is only the rack, no tie rods, tie rod adapters and such....

[ame]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7541391868468223865[/ame]

Yesterday I took the white 82 for a spin, it has the steeroids and man does it SUCK!!!!!!!!! I absolutely HATE how it steers. Some people say it gives a light assisted steering feel, it doesn't here. It's quite heavy and feels notchy. Now, after about a yearand very little driving but plenty of rusting :) it moans and groands close to the steering stops (it's not the bypass, it happens before)

I feel it sucks to such an extent that I'll probably redo the damn brackets, all of them. The rack moved waaaaay too much. It's not jut the brackets, it's that rubber donut mount. With everything moving about how can it give a proper steering feel. I'm going to solidly mount it, that's for sure.

LOL....hey TT...you can always do what I did and rip off all the steering-assited crapola and go to manual sterring. With those big, muscular arms you have you should be able to whip around a corner no problemo. :D