Tall man's C-4

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
Okay guys. I have a very tall friend, 6' 6", that owns an 86 C-4. He has told another friend he wants it modified , ANY way, to accomodate his large heigth.
What is the cure? Manual seat tracks? Cutting/extending the floor? Anyone else done this on a C-4? I need ideas, and he will be joining Vettemod shortly.

it's a lot of work but I was considering cutting and lowering the floor to fit the C6 electric tracks ... again, lots of work but probably the best way to gain head room.....

it's a lot of work but I was considering cutting and lowering the floor to fit the C6 electric tracks ... again, lots of work but probably the best way to gain head room.....

So the C-6 tracks are lower profile I assume? How about the seats themselves?:goodevil:

I made some brackets and bolted the C6 seats directly to the floor, they're lower than the C3 seats but not much. The C3 tracks are very low profile because they're sunk into the seat bottom, the C6 tracks are about 2" taller.
well, all this doen't help you much with your C4 question...

one thing that worries me is the carpet fitment with the floor lowered, probably looks horrible...

if I remember correctly, the C4 seats are pretty thick, maybe there are thinner cushions available ?

The C4 electric tracks are not as big as the C5 (assume the same for C6) but still bigger than the manual tracks. At 6'6" he might want to bolt the seat to the floor to maximize headroom.

Getting in and out of a C4 is such a bitch with the high door sills. I'm 6' and I can't tell you how many times I've hit my head getting in mine.

I am 6'5" with a long back bone, I used to have a '87 vert, the thing I remember most about the car, which I sold 16 years ago, is the narrow seating, it was actually painful on my hip joints, I dunno if a C3 seat can fit or not....I never had any issues with leg room that I remember in that car, indeed tolerated the lack of room in my '72 until ten years ago....

at that time I cut the rear seat support tabs off the floor rails, lowering the seat, stayed with the OEM padding because it sagged a bit in the seat, removed some seat bottom springs, and removed the black plastic seat belt cover for clearance...belt operated normally....

on the knee room, the car came with the stock fixed column, I replaced it with a '78+ Tilt/Tele with smaller wheel....that was done immediately up north yet....

when I lowered the seat, I also cut a U out on the bottom of the firewall along the floorboard and up the sides as high as the steering column, forced it forward, and glassed it in again....bent the gas pedal, and cut/welded the brake pedal so they are about 3" lower/forward, this pulled my knees off the steering wheel,

I have a console pad, and lean on it while driving with left hand over the wheel at 11-12 o'clock.....sorta the James Dean slouch position....

I think maybe to just remove the seat mechanism and tie the seat frame to the floor is possible the best solution for the C4.....

maybe some of my C3 mods can open a few ideas....

:bump::thumbs: