Summit Headers, $80?!?!

Hot Rod Magazine just used a set of those headers in the "Cheap" 350 engine buildup in the current issue. They have photos and comments on them.

Lars

I been using a set of Schoenfeld 151 they call them 'chassis headers'.....

unequal length...but with a streetable system, it's not to matter....they are higher then the pans on the engine and tranny....

I paid like 150 bux, years ago....

they fit a shark no sweat....only thing to watch out for is 5 & 6 plugs with the old burnt boot trick....I did a set of Jacobs ceramic boot ends....bury that problem FOREVER....

:clobbered:

The flanges on them are alittle thinner like all cheaper headers and that can cause a problem with leaks.

On the head flange if you use locking header bolts and aluminum gaskets you shouldn't have a problem.

On the collector side if weld the flanges to the collectors and put it together with aluminum collector gaskets it will greatly reduce leak problems. Just make sure you test fit and tack everything before welding to avoid clearance issues.

I have used them on projects in the past without many problems. They are defiantly not as nice as some of the higher dollar headers and may require a little bit more work to avoid leaks.

I am in need of a new set on my 74 and will probably go with a set of Jegs or Summit headers. To me the cost savings by far out ways any of the extra work required.

These Shoenfelds gave me grief over leaking on the Edel heads...about 2-3 leaks....then a head gasket, so on went iron heads for some years....leaks about 3-4 times.....NOW a set of L98 stock #113 heads on there for 3+ years and no leaks...not even a loose bolt...go figger....

:huh::nuts:

I have used those cheap headers on a couple cars in the past. I found the easiest way to keep them from leaking at the head was to cut the flange between the first and middle tubes and the middle tubes and the last. this allowed each tube to pull up and cured the leaking problems.

Hmmm...interested in these.
Can somebody give me an idea of how low these are installed?
Live in speed bump paradise and not looking for skid plates.
Thanks.

Summit brand products are usually good quality. I'd still cut the flange to improve the seal. Use locking header bolts and you should be fine

Hmmm...interested in these.
Can somebody give me an idea of how low these are installed?
Live in speed bump paradise and not looking for skid plates.
Thanks.

here is a pic under my car with headman (cheap) headers. Keep in mind this is a C4!

DSC03915.jpg

A guy I work with bought a set for his nova,I wasn't impressed so I went with hookers.

Bought a set of Hedman Headers #68300 for $80 of Graigslist.
Only used to break in an engine on an engine stand, look brand spanky new.
Pretty deal since they go for $155 on Summit.