Speedometer Gear Failure Again

I also use wd40 for many things. It works supprisingly well considering that if one looks at the can directions one will note that it is not a lubricant, it is a penatrant and also good for water displacement. I worked in the auto parts industry for many years are we were regularily reminded of this fact by other lubricant manufacturers.:stirpot:

I also use wd40 for many things. It works supprisingly well considering that if one looks at the can directions one will note that it is not a lubricant, it is a penatrant and also good for water displacement. I worked in the auto parts industry for many years are we were regularily reminded of this fact by other lubricant manufacturers.:stirpot:

I am totally aware of that 'fact', and so keep a squirt can of ATF handy also...

I rather believe in thinner oils than OEM came with, and judging from what I seen in new cars....ATF in stick shift trannies, and in FWD cars getting their diffy's lubed with it...I almost want to do ATF in the '72 posi unit....bet it work fine....but haven't bothered yet...

:bump::bump::fishing:

If I was to tear down the speedometer, what would I expect to find? I have never thought about how they were designed. I would assume that it would be built around a 1 to 1 ratio!

If I was to tear down the speedometer, what would I expect to find? I have never thought about how they were designed. I would assume that it would be built around a 1 to 1 ratio!

you might want to pull the "bullet" (out of the trans) and try to inspect the gear inside on the mainshaft....

Last edited:
The speedo can't bind, it is not a mechanically operated piece, it uses a flying magnet that's spun by the cable and a clock sprung pickup disc on the needle, so no fixed connection there.

The speedo can't bind, it is not a mechanically operated piece, it uses a flying magnet that's spun by the cable and a clock sprung pickup disc on the needle, so no fixed connection there.

Set on a nice clean kitchen table with a good light above and if needed get a Mag glass to see :shocking::search:

the needle pulls off the front with just a friction fit, but be sure you dont bend that pin shaft it's pressed on to....it's just a friction fit....but very snug...

take the two screws off the dial plate, set it aside...I would not try cleaning it or the indicator needle, as those paints are rather extremely delicate and I have ruined enough in the way of instrumentations over the years.....not even water....

the backside is two sections with some 8-10 size screws in there....pull the sections apart really carefully, and you find a center jewel pivot and a needle bearing/pin set up in there, that keeps the concentric from the aluminum cup and the rotating magnet.....I just lightly lube the input shaft with a dap of ATF from a Qtip and a tap of WD40 to wash it down.....
and a light swap of alky haul over that hidden center bearing pin/jewel pivot point, then a dap of WD again, and reassemble very carefully, total time not over an hour, really, just be super CLEAN over it, and careful of that coiled spring setup on the dial pin.....when you have the compass card on it, the center pin should be easy to rotate around clockwise and when you release it should snap back to zero stop point with a slight metallic sound....

then you put the indicator needle in place pointing to dead nutz zero....there is a stop on the card for it also...the two should be damn nearly perfectly aligned....

I have done 5-6 of them GM speedos over the years this a way....same mechanism in all of them except the really creative B body cars....

:shocking::beer:

I might have time to check this out this weekend. It looks like the rain from Florida is moving our way. We could sure use some rain. I drove the car today and the speedometer is still bouncing between 15 to 20 MPH. Checked pricing on a new gear sleeve in case the gear fails again. The sleeve is now 72.00 & the gear has jumped to 9.00. Seems that Wilcox is not quite as competitive as they used to be. Hope there reading this! Zip has the sleeve for 42.00.

Gene

Thanks for the instructions on diassembly. I will probably try it this weekend. I have nothing to lose.

Herb

Yes and no. The odometer gears get crusty with old grease, and it will affect it.
The speedo shops clean them in an ultrasonic bath before lube and calibration.