Rookie's First Restoration Attempt...

I test fitted the front clip and new hood before I left, looks good. Still needs a lot of work, but its a good starting point. I am very happy with the shape the body is in. Learned how to do fiberglass work too. Now to get it shipped here with the rest of my parts. Missed my flight from Denver to Calgary due to weather and had to camp out at the airport, god that sucked.

Last edited:
I test fitted the front clip and new hood before I left, looks good. Still needs a lot of work, but its a good starting point. I am very happy with the shape the body is in. Learned how to do fiberglass work too. Now to get it shipped here with the rest of my parts. Missed my flight from Denver to Calgary due to weather and had to camp out at the airport, god that sucked.

INteresting, you maybe got passed by my son and daughter picking up her boyfriend in Denver at that same damn time....they on the way up to see Rushmore now, before coming east.....

:smash::lol:

INteresting, you maybe got passed by my son and daughter picking up her boyfriend in Denver at that same damn time....they on the way up to see Rushmore now, before coming east.....

:smash::lol:

Yeah, it was a mess. People sleeping on the floor all over the airport...apparently I wasn't the only one that missed a flight:harhar:

I was once stuck at the Vegas airport for a few hours.... with gambling and beer it's not all that bad :trumpet::trumpet::D:harhar:

Sweet, my rear flares are ready. They are getting shipped after carlisle:)

Hey Jeremy,

It was good to meet you. Bet you're glad to be out of the Texas heat.

Chris

It was nice to meet you too Chris. Yeah, I am happy to be out of the texas heat. Its too bad I didn't get a chance to see your car. You got any pics of it?

My original trans crossmember was twisted, and would need a lot of work to straighten it out. I decided to build my own. I drew up some quick drawings of the mounts I will be welding up in a few days - it gives me all the dimensions and everything, so it is easier on my head when I am cutting all the metal...no thinking required. There will be a tube between the ears which will prevent them from collapsing when tightening the bolt. It is sort of based off the bowtie overdrives crossmember mounts, but they will be a lot stronger and heavier. Plus, the ears won't collapse on the mounts.

Mount-1.jpg

Make sure you leave enough room for adjustments. No idea what transmission you're going to use but you'll likely have to adjust the driveshaft angle somewhat to minimize or eliminate vibrations.
I have used a few washers to move the trans tail.... I have a poly mount that is supposed to be thicker than the stock rubber mount....

Make sure you leave enough room for adjustments. No idea what transmission you're going to use but you'll likely have to adjust the driveshaft angle somewhat to minimize or eliminate vibrations.
I have used a few washers to move the trans tail.... I have a poly mount that is supposed to be thicker than the stock rubber mount....

I will. These are just the mounts. I'm still tweaking the design of the crossmember. I'm going back with the original th350 I think. Mike convinced me to stick with it and later on down the road replace it. I don't have the money right now to buy a new crossmember to replace my twisted one, so I decided to make my own to my liking. I'm heading back to school in a week and I need to start conserving my cash for this project...I won't be able to spend a ton of money on the project until next summer when I get another full time job - I'll only be working part time now because of school. The good news is that all the major stuff for the project has been bought.

The TH350 is a good and cheap tranny (if it fails and you need a rebuilt one)... not having the overdrive sux but that also depends on the gears - with my 3.55 it was painful going 70mph :suicide:

Swapping the tranny later is no big deal, live with it for a while, then you'll really appreciate the upgrade some time down the road. :cool:

The TH350 is a good and cheap tranny (if it fails and you need a rebuilt one)... not having the overdrive sux but that also depends on the gears - with my 3.55 it was painful going 70mph :suicide:

Swapping the tranny later is no big deal, live with it for a while, then you'll really appreciate the upgrade some time down the road. :cool:

I need to start researching on how to rebuild it...that's still on the to-do list.

Test fit of flare...

flare12.jpg

The flares are being test fitted (kind of mocked up) by Mike. This will give me a guideline for when I start working on them in a year or two from now. Mike knows more about how these parts are supposed to fit, so I am letting him play around with the parts first. I will be doing the real fit of them when I have the body on my chassis and the correct wheels.

Last edited:
I had an extra steering box housing laying around, and I was bored, so I powder coated it:crazy:

DSC03922.jpg

DSC03923.jpg

DSC03924.jpg

DSC03927.jpg

Oh yeah, I also forgot to post a pic of the engine...

DSC03921.jpg