replacing rear window chrome with plastic?

Shirley1978

i need to re-seal my rear glass because it leaks. i painted my trim black a few months ago and its starting to chip here and there. im removing my t-top chrome trim as well and figured id do the same with the rear. i want to replace it with something simular to what modern cars run
100435.jpg

or possibly run no trim at all?
X09SV_CH004.jpg

does anyone have a pic of the trim removed?

im open to suggestions, what do you guys think?

im going for a clean look. nothing tacky. thats why im getting rid of the chrome. + i hate chrome ..

Jonny

When you remove the trim be very careful, it's stainless (not chrome) and there are no reproductions, the used trim in good shape is $100 easy.... I bent mine when I tried to get it off one of the clips :push:

Be careful with the rear glass too: again... no repros, good used glass is $500 if you can find it...

You have to remove the rear glass to replace the plastic clips that hold the trim.

It's a bit of a pain to do this, not one of my favorite projects. I had the guy who replaced my windshield glue the rear window back in place, they use some nasty urethane glue/sealant, appearently good stuff as the window is still in place after three years.

I have photos of the rear glass with no trim, I just have to look for them find them....

does it look like shit with out the trim?

pretty much :clobbered:

I would prefer no trim instead of the bent and dented trim that I have but there's no easy way that I can see to make it look good without trim. There's a 1/4" gap all round the glass and the plastic clips are visible (if you don't remove those)....

Stainless guys can pick and file and hammer that stainless back into shape to look like new. Local plating shops should have a repair, polish and buff department.

Maybe next time paint it with POR-15? That SH1t sticks to everything! They have small 1/2 pt size packs too. You can then spray it flat black with rattlecan if wanted. Powder coat would not be so cheap Ithink -- but durable too. Either way, gets you away from chrome.
Cheers - Jim
BTW -- have run the T-Tops without the trim for years and like the look

hmm.. ill see what i can do.. i want it to look good. either way..

how did you go about removing the trim from the t tops??

can you post pics?

Man - I gotta say -- I'm sorry.
I've hade the body under wraps so long -- I forgot!
DOOH -- I just checked and the trim is on the sides -- But off the front.
I just remembered that I was gonna pull the sides. What I'd do is; take off the window rubber and then cut the steel (edging) off using some aviation snips. The other bits will have to get some POR-15 to keep the bits from rusting -- as they kinda gotta be there to hold the window rubber in place. Do them in black and flat black to match up with the rubber.

Man - so sorry for giving you a bad vector there. I'll shoot a pic when the battery recharges in the camera.
Sorry again. Cheers - Jim

here's a few pics of my painted tops without the trim. I "heard" that the black rubber trim for the glass tops fits as well, aftermarket $50.... Ecklers for example...

100_1571Small.jpg

100_1562Small.jpg
and here's a pic of the rear window without the trim

100_1298small.jpg