Rear suspension overhaul....

Ever thought about welding the crossmember on there? All you need is a little access hatch/cover in the rear for the diff bolts

Ever thought about welding the crossmember on there? All you need is a little access hatch/cover in the rear for the diff bolts

HAHAH...funny you say that, first time I dropped that cross support otta there I swore it was welded in there, :rofl::sweat::crutches::mad:

I thought about welding it but isn't this allowing the diff to pivot ? I mean allowing it to pivot so that the driveline angle can be adjusted by changing the angle of the diff ?
Then again.... once the angle is adjusted and the front diff mount is tightened - why not weld the whole thing ???

Made some progress... I cleaned and welded the passenger side of the crossmember attachment bracket, should be a lot stronger now (still have to do the driver side)

214f369c0ece064.jpg

made a small filler piece:

214f369c0ef1e9b.jpg
214f369c0f24d56.jpg
I hate welding overhead.... :smash:

214f369c0f11311.jpg
ground the uglyness a little smoother:

214f369c0f381eb.jpg
and primered:
214f369c0f49742.jpg

I drilled the holes in the frame for 9/16 bolts. I'm attaching the crossmember with4" long 9/16" grade 8 bolts.... overkill for sure but the 3/8" studs seemed a little flimsy....

214f369c0f5c7f5.jpg

Got the tapered spacers today, looks like these fit with the seals for the rod ends

214f3db0087bb6c.jpg

Last edited:
some more pics: the seal fits against the larger diameter of the tapered spacer. I'm planning to fill the cavity between seal and rod end with sticky grease.

214f3db007ec41f.jpg
214f3db0082f0df.jpg
214f3db00854e77.jpg

This is a very good example of "while I'm at it"...... I decided that while the trailing arm is not in my way I'm grinding the transition between the flare and the original fender smooth.... i also ground off excessive glue that was used by the factory, re-glued the panel behind the wheel and did a few other purely "cosmetic" improvements inside the fender where nobody is ever going to see it anyways.... :blush::pprrtt::D

I removed some 2 lbs of undercoating that somebody sprayed in there in adesperate attempt to prevent the fiberglass from rusting (I guess)....

I used Evercoat SMC resin to make sure it adheres properly to the fender (factory SMC) ..... here we go:

214f41be6f994da.jpg

214f41be6f63d34.jpg

Karsten -

That's lookin' good!

If you'd like - I have the 2 Aluminum Plates I built to "sandwich" between the strut carrier and the diff. They're 1/4 inch each and will be good spacers IAW a John Greenwood VIP recommendation. PM if interested. (For - you - no worries.) Just let me know if you'd like to give 'em a try. They're in the garage so I'd have to dig 'em out.

Cheers - Jim

Hey Jim,
Thanks for the offer :thumbs:
I lowered the strut rod bracket already. I cut and re-welded so now the strut rods are almost parallel with the halfshafts. I'll give this setup a try. I have another strut rod bracket so if this is not working out I can go back to stock height....

Seeing your cross member re inforcemrnt MYBAD79...

Seeing your cross member re inforcemrnt MYBAD79 I thought I would show what I went with ..................... Over the forums...I have seen many post on the subject of raising the differential on C2 & C3 's. The Idea is to keep the 1/2 shafts level and lower the body 3/4" . And is discussed in VIP Artical here (http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/vip.pdf) But to start with some new ideas . First is the Differential mount to the X member.
A company sell's Re-forcing Tabs to keep the differential mounting bolts from pulling through the crossmember

DV_web_CROSSMEBER_TABS_2.jpg

So............ ever striving for OVERKILL.... 2 2" channel ....a little trimming to fit through the hole ....

P1000444.jpg
P1000452.jpg

Now another company sells pre cut gussets to weld and reinforce the frame at the "Sombrero " Mounts. Well More Over kill. I designed a bracket that slips right inside the frame mount. This would obviously require the body lifted. So placing 5 tack welds from bracket to the frame ..... and its done. Originally intended to avoid messing up the powder coated frame. But ... turned out pretty good. Por -15 gloss black matches PCoat nicely.

P1000501.jpg
P1000500.jpg
P1000510.jpg
7.jpg

I saw the reinforcement plates for the crossmember mounts online, with shipping it's like $50 and change for 4 pieces of mild steel that anybody can buy at HomeDepot for $3 a foot.... took maybe 20 minutes to cut and fit....

I used washers under the bolt head inside the crossmember - I figure that the cast differential cracks before the bolts get pulled thru the crossmember but I added washers to spread the load anyways... overkill for sure, the crossmember is quiet thick in this area.

ok, my fiberglass work on the fenders is done, next item on the list is to install the driver side trailing arm and then figure out where the upper strut rods go... I'll have to lower the diff and the crossmember one more time to finish the welding for the upper bracket as well as the half shaft loop brackets....

the Johnny Joints are narrower than the stock style bushings so now I need additional alignment shims... I have a set of the slotted stainless shims and need about 4-5 more ... anybody have any leftover ??? I'd hate having to buy a full set for $30 and only use 4 shims... my plan B is to place a washer left/right of the Johnny Joint...

Now another company sells pre cut gussets to weld and reinforce the frame at the "Sombrero " Mounts. Well More Over kill. I designed a bracket that slips right inside the frame mount. This would obviously require the body lifted. So placing 5 tack welds from bracket to the frame ..... and its done. Originally intended to avoid messing up the powder coated frame. But ... turned out pretty good. Por -15 gloss black matches PCoat nicely.

Ok tell me, I did reinforce the welds on the sombrero thing,
1804f43be07f1754.jpg

The factory welds were horrible, I couldnt believe how bad this was.
Not rusted, just not welded"
Anyway, is the reinforcment welds I did enough???

Oh yeah, by the way , nice work sir!