Rear Suspension...i Have Some Questions

Those car's use a central wheel lug, the splined parts hold the wheels, the threaded part is for the central nut and the outer splines is to lock that nut in place and hold the wheel once the nut is tightened.

Those car's use a central wheel lug, the splined parts hold the wheels, the threaded part is for the central nut and the outer splines is to lock that nut in place and hold the wheel once the nut is tightened.

OK, kind of like that Ford dualie I got the brake drums off....but in this case, why the hollow looking 'axle'....??

lightweight & stronger. The hollow part is actually the drive hub, not the spindle.

lightweight & stronger. The hollow part is actually the drive hub, not the spindle.

OK, pardon my slo ass on this ...I get a Dualie, with the floating axle, I been dealing with typical diffy's for long time...

so I still fail to wrap my mind around how that works....that hollow tube is the drive hub.... weight you say? I know the outer perimeter of a tube contains some 90% of the strength...fine...

OK, is it like a standard 5 lug chebby without the flange for the lugs, instead it uses a spline on the wheel, then a typical knockoff hub to hold it on there...??

I have to assume the wheel is aluminum, and with that fine a spline, don't it have problems with wear and vibration mounted on them splines???

:amazed:

Some time this winter I'm going to remove the poly bushed trailing arms from my '79. The poly bushings have been in there since 2004 and roughly 3000 miles - I expect them to be in pretty bad shape because of the rotation of the trailing arm during suspension travel.... we will see, I'll post photos when the arms are out....

I do not see any disadvantage when using JohnnyJoints instead of the front trailing arm bushing, maybe a little more noise but if there's any... I'm sure I'll have a hard time noticing the additional noise with my sidepipes :bounce::bounce: