Protecting windscreen frame from rusting

Bad Bird

Hello everyone. My 1971 Corvette has surface rust in the birdcage around the windscreen frame on the passenger's side.

So, what are the hot tips for stopping further rust happening?

Cheers guys,
Matt.

Last edited:
Clean/strip/restore all the rotted metal, put in w/shield per normal, then when assembling the trim, over fill the gaps with black RTV from a caulking gun....

when you put the body back together, make sure you totally fill any gap between the fender and the metal parts, fill completely with black RTV,

I did mine this way 16 years ago, no rust....

second trick, mine is a convertible, that top stainless wrapping is 2-3 pieces, and as such prone to leaking/passing water under it.....I had the same problem on a '72 Grandville convertible, no matter HOW TIGHT I clamped those tops down they leaked.....my '70 Lemans GTO never did leak......the goat was factory vinyl wrapped and so on the vette, I took some black vinyl from that window channel, glued it to the installed stainless wrapping it totally, and I have NEVER had a over top leak since....80 mph into a hurricane and no leaking....

now on this 'new convertible top' I would love to solve the side window glass leaks....what I PIA, going to take a damn knife to it yet....

:twitch::surrender:

Clean/strip/restore all the rotted metal, put in w/shield per normal, then when assembling the trim, over fill the gaps with black RTV from a caulking gun....

when you put the body back together, make sure you totally fill any gap between the fender and the metal parts, fill completely with black RTV,

I did mine this way 16 years ago, no rust....

second trick, mine is a convertible, that top stainless wrapping is 2-3 pieces, and as such prone to leaking/passing water under it.....I had the same problem on a '72 Grandville convertible, no matter HOW TIGHT I clamped those tops down they leaked.....my '70 Lemans GTO never did leak......the goat was factory vinyl wrapped and so on the vette, I took some black vinyl from that window channel, glued it to the installed stainless wrapping it totally, and I have NEVER had a over top leak since....80 mph into a hurricane and no leaking....

now on this 'new convertible top' I would love to solve the side window glass leaks....what I PIA, going to take a damn knife to it yet....

:twitch::surrender:

I for one would like to see hurricane testing :rofl:

once the windshield is removed you can access almost all the typical rusted areas, only if the rust continues too far down you need to remove the fenders by either cutting or removing the entire front clip..
I have a few photos in my "windshield" thread, i'll post a link once i found it.....

unfortunately, if you have rust there, there's bound to be more where you can not access it, the A pillars.