primer question

i use nothing but epoxy to surface with. i use spi gray as it changes color when you block it. no need for a guide coat.i wet sand everything so when i'm done it's nice and clean. i have a spray wand from a bug sprayer in the sanding area.

i use nothing but epoxy to surface with. i use spi gray as it changes color when you block it. no need for a guide coat.i wet sand everything so when i'm done it's nice and clean. i have a spray wand from a bug sprayer in the sanding area.

OK, what kind of epoxy?? who's?? I used fiberglass resin and roving for the filler/buildup on the front and back resanded it after the first disaster, can do so again, no big deal only 1/2 pint of paint, but that damn pattern still there....

always looks perfect with even wet primer, put the paint on it, and shit....

I have had better luck with epoxy for glues/etc than anything fiberglass resins....

:cussing:

If you can see the fiberglass pattern after your work is done it's because either the resin/filler/primer surfacer shrunk, or the body work had not fully cured prior to top-coats being applied. Time and heat is your friend.

I don't sand epoxy. That stuff is too hard. I spray a 1 to 1 PPG mix on the car after it stripped and major body work is done. Then i shoot primer filler, block that and fix any rough spots with glazing putty. Re-shoot and block up to 600 grit to a smooth finish. When done re-seal with epoxy this time reducing a little more so it lay down smooth. This will seal in and keep shit from bleeding. Then base coat clear. Gene, not to get personal but I use all the same product PPG from start to finish. Never had and issues.

Danny

I uses an expoxy based primer that spieshecker has. It was very good, but sadly not available anymore. It was sandable but is was pretty hard, so there's a lot of ellbow grease involved. :waxer:

Anyway the parts that I kept on priming and sanding and that have no high spots anymore look very smooth...