post up some pictures of your paint jobs that you did. before/after would be cool

Why settle for just a 20foot paint job?? if you are going to repaint,you might as well put the time and prep into it so it looks great standing next to the car.

who is Maxwell Smart ??

Isn't he that tv show guy that became like a robot agent and had all kinds of cool stuff to fight crime with?

From the TV show Get Smart. In '68 the show opened with Max (agent 86 from CONTROL) driving a vert Ghia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_Smart

I only remember him driving a Sunbeam Tiger Vert

I remember him having a helicopter thing come out of his hat.

Nevermind I was thinking of this guy, inspector gadget, momentary brain fart

290px-InspectorGadget.jpg

Last edited:
Why settle for just a 20foot paint job?? if you are going to repaint,you might as well put the time and prep into it so it looks great standing next to the car.

because this will be a everyday car! subject to everyday nicks and scratches. so why spend 3K on it's paint?

because this will be a everyday car! subject to everyday nicks and scratches. so why spend 3K on it's paint?

If you buy PPG shopline products the material (primer, sealer, base clear) will be less than $700.
That's what I used to paint my '79 and I've never painted a car before, never owned a paint gun... turned out ok imo... paint is now 3 years old and not bubbling or flaking off the panels :beer:

If you buy PPG shopline products the material (primer, sealer, base clear) will be less than $700.
That's what I used to paint my '79 and I've never painted a car before, never owned a paint gun... turned out ok imo... paint is now 3 years old and not bubbling or flaking off the panels :beer:

Although 'I' am unhappy with the finish quality on my '72 from last spring, I flat refuse to put more T & E into it....as with any car in decent shape I have EVER had, there is SOME damn off the wall shit that happens, within 6 months of being on the road....course I drive them all daily....

this last one, some idiot Ambulance forces me out into a intersection and this clown comes up outta nowhere, and clocks the driver's front fender...scratched and cracked...I fixed the worst of it, but have a control arm for it, need install it yet....when I get some damn WARM WEATHER I can tear the car apart for a few daze.... but it's typical....

funny how a car can look SO good with primer on it, and fuck up SO badly with finish coat...makes no sense, even with a spray bomb flat black coating...brings out every damn piece of filler and scratch again, every damn one....

but funny thing is....at 20-20 it gets compliments...go figger....:friends::crutches::D

Although 'I' am unhappy with the finish quality on my '72 from last spring, I flat refuse to put more T & E into it....as with any car in decent shape I have EVER had, there is SOME damn off the wall shit that happens, within 6 months of being on the road....course I drive them all daily....

this last one, some idiot Ambulance forces me out into a intersection and this clown comes up outta nowhere, and clocks the driver's front fender...scratched and cracked...I fixed the worst of it, but have a control arm for it, need install it yet....when I get some damn WARM WEATHER I can tear the car apart for a few daze.... but it's typical....

funny how a car can look SO good with primer on it, and fuck up SO badly with finish coat...makes no sense, even with a spray bomb flat black coating...brings out every damn piece of filler and scratch again, every damn one....

but funny thing is....at 20-20 it gets compliments...go figger....:friends::crutches::D

When I took on this project car I decided on a very nice restoration of the car. But at the same time I had to be realistic that what it will be used for is the equivalent of a mini-van. You know taking son to school, commuting to work, grocery getter, etc. etc. The car has 198K miles on it so the difference between a show quality paint job and just a decent one wont affect it's value.

I would rather have a interior that is 100% like new and new suspension and mechanical stuff then worry bout a flawless paint job that could become flawed by one car door hitting it.

Yes I admire many of your paint jobs but at the same time laugh when you park 3 miles from stores just so your car doesn't get a nick in it. Yet miraculously being out there all by itself it manages to be the one that gets hit anyways ... Go figure the odds huh????? Sure I feel sorry if it does get damaged but in my case I'm building this car to be driven a lot so "purpose" has a lot to do with the paint decision on this car.

This is a classic story of off the wall shit happening to my cars...

my '67 Grand Prix had a fresh repair done to the front end from some kid pulling out in front of me, about 8 month earlier.....so having lunch with the folks, I"m heading back south for a date....and on this 2 lane road, I pull out to pass someone going really slo...soon as I get parallel to him, out of a freeking GATE comes this fucking COW, so bossy goes sideways/parallel to my car taking out the entire driver's side from headlights to tail lights.....every panel, every piece of trim.....got the car repainted a beautiful Caddy firemist GREEN.....

So when the topic of 'bump steer' comes up, for ME i'ts a whole other meaning.....

:gurney::shocking: which suffered me though the first Ex wife, and some parking lot damage, and her learning to drive.....

:eek:

but funny thing is....at 20-20 it gets compliments...go figger....
Isnt that the truth!!!!!thought i knew how to paint a car till i tackled my 79 the first time.

WHEN I GOT IT
general005.jpg
paintjob004-2.jpg
paintjob006-6.jpg
paintjob014.jpg
GOT SICK OF ALL THE STUFF UPS SO..................................
yellowpaintjob006.jpg
MIXED CUSTOM YELLOW
yellowpaintjob003-1.jpg
yellowpaintjob008-2.jpg
yellowpaintjob004-4.jpg
HOME MADE SIDEPIPES sts style inserts,bit loud but have not been pulled over yet and there strict here!!!

Paint with Laquer. You can totally frig it up and then just sand it out and buff it and it looks great.

The newer coating are too hard to do that.

The downside it it only lasts about 5 years in the weather.

Yep you can stuff paint all right , by not doing proper prep work. I am doing a bit of colour sanding but am to scared to go to far as i might go through to primer trying to get out all the sanding marks in primer. Might wait for better weather and scuff then lay on 4L of clear?:eek:thats after i fixed my vanishing oil pressure problem(cam lobes in sump up thru bearings:crap:)
:noob:(got some cool smileys:cool:)

Not the best pics, but these were done in a car port many years ago.

$100 basket case (actually brought home on a 6' x 4' box trailer) Mini Moke.

Before:
354debdeb0eba9c.jpg

After:
354debdeb0a0355.jpg

My old Rockabilly Dump Truck (1969 HT Holden Ute)

Before:
354debde02a2f1f.jpg

After:
354debde030a18d.jpg