Plastic Fantastic 2

If you havent already bought those, take a look at www.theretrofitsource.com
I have a set of their Morimoto projectors in my vette (can share pics if you want some ideas on how to do yours). I deal with alot of the amazon projectors that customers bring in, and out of the box they are only OK.
One of the reviews said that once they were tweaked the light output was much better... I think theretrofitsource has some info on how to do this if you end up going this route

If you havent already bought those, take a look at www.theretrofitsource.com
I have a set of their Morimoto projectors in my vette (can share pics if you want some ideas on how to do yours). I deal with alot of the amazon projectors that customers bring in, and out of the box they are only OK.
One of the reviews said that once they were tweaked the light output was much better... I think theretrofitsource has some info on how to do this if you end up going this route

I already own them but there's a caveat - I never bought bulbs because these are basically to test the concept and fabricate the doors... when it's done, I'll put in something good (rather then cheap). the tl;dr is thank you, I will need that link in a bit for the 'real' lights.

the question to be answered next is going to be whether or not I can weld new buckets on the doors... cast aluminum is not a happy metal to try and weld because it's usually full of crap. With that said, carbon fiber is an option....

I already own them but there's a caveat - I never bought bulbs because these are basically to test the concept and fabricate the doors... when it's done, I'll put in something good (rather then cheap). the tl;dr is thank you, I will need that link in a bit for the 'real' lights.

the question to be answered next is going to be whether or not I can weld new buckets on the doors... cast aluminum is not a happy metal to try and weld because it's usually full of crap. With that said, carbon fiber is an option....

Ahhhh OK :thumbs:

I had a local fabricator weld my headlamp supports (same crap potmetal) back together... he said the metal was trash to weld but it worked. If you are welding buckets to the headlamps for the projector, make some kind of isolator between the projector and the car. I noticed any movement or vibration is severely magnified by the projector on my car

Ahhhh OK :thumbs:

I had a local fabricator weld my headlamp supports (same crap potmetal) back together... he said the metal was trash to weld but it worked. If you are welding buckets to the headlamps for the projector, make some kind of isolator between the projector and the car. I noticed any movement or vibration is severely magnified by the projector on my car

thanks for the heads up, I'm sure vibration could be an issue with the solid roller cam that's installed in the motor. pot metal can't be sand blasted or use stripper in any place you can't grind off the resulting coating... so it's utterly a pain, which is why I'm really considering the carbon option - of course, it also means a lot more work, which (ugh).

body work.... ugh
lv9t5YK.jpg
D1c6HxY.jpg
PDnxh6W.jpg

​​​​​​​lights, whee
gqJ7Msf.jpg
u0CtRz3.jpg
trick is going to be how to make this happen... pop up or solid mount with lifting light cover?
Xeoh1HQ.jpg
VA8X5fV.jpg
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

That might not be a bad way to go. Fixed mount lights and then the doors just act like eyelids. Certainly removes a lot of complexity from the assembly.

What are you going to use to protect the lights from rocks when the lids are up?

L O N G ago, a series of wrecks not my fault, wiped out the Eckler's sugar scoops, which were a reaction to a damn deer running out at night, and taking out both sets of stock lights......then a Verizon truck backing his fugly hitch into the front left bumper.....so at that point I decided to fill in the headlight openings, and put in my own mounts in the scoops....and so cut the openings by 50% low profile GLASS bulbs....pleasant surprise in that the two blown out lo beams I found in the junkyard raid....easy replaced as the bulbs themselves were glued into the large glass.....RTV and newer/brighter bulbs in place now....

See pix below.....

http://vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11425

Last edited:
that style just isn't mine... not anything wrong with it and it's a pretty sweet way of making lemonade out of a crappy situation.

the other bit is I plan on center lights - and driving mostly with those... not just that but it'd be pretty simple to add a row of LED lights in the grill openings - all while maintaining the stockish look..... dunno, I'll keep posting pictures as I narrow in on what I want....

that style just isn't mine... not anything wrong with it and it's a pretty sweet way of making lemonade out of a crappy situation.

the other bit is I plan on center lights - and driving mostly with those... not just that but it'd be pretty simple to add a row of LED lights in the grill openings - all while maintaining the stockish look..... dunno, I'll keep posting pictures as I narrow in on what I want....

this is more like what I am thinking.. I know he is on here hope he responds to my pm.
vemp-1108-00%2B1974-chevrolet-corvette.jpg

part of me seriously considered seeing if I could get tintable glass (like in Mercedes) as light covers - but what stopped me is that opening is curved.... we will see how it ends up, at this point I'm still in the considering my options phase

back to the car
I hate gaps
Fd6MLpg.jpg

however it does mean shiney new tool
Z5fHq1W.jpg

it's so cute
x8drhH0.jpg

who knew you could convince a fiberglass door to move with a block of wood?
usipQV2.jpg
and it does
ueN0IRp.jpg
ring time
xQrtnRw.jpg
the start of the fix
mf4HKbc.jpg
I'm going to flush mount all of this.... the ring is to provide a good edge
​​​​​​​vQCT4HV.jpg

ugh back to gaps
6PI2oqt.jpg
I'm not looking forward to the sanding portion of this endeavor
DPipJI4.jpg

i dont have one of those......is it a slip roller with cut outs for making rings? how do you control the diameter less tension?

So it's time for Uncle SBG's story time

I sanded
JaIH4xm.jpg

the end

come back tomorrow for another exciting episode of as the DA turns.editededited

i dont have one of those......is it a slip roller with cut outs for making rings? how do you control the diameter less tension?

yes, it's simply a slip roller - most actually have slots on them so that you can bend rings. Of course, they say 1/8" wire... 1/4" stainless is the same thing :trumpet:

since this is closed on both ends is there any benefit to beefing it up? for heavier stock

i beefed up my frame and added a motor to my bead roller since the deflection was too much

IMG00688-20120422-1432.jpg

IMG03341-20140111-1125_zpsd2e22981.jpg

IMG03355-20140112-1224_zpsc389044e.jpg

20160611_162535_zpswkt9g3fy.jpg

Last edited:
they make stronger slip rollers - heck, most large-diameter gas pipe is made on slip rollers. the thing that usually breaks on them is the gears - and I'm certain it's why this one has a 6" handle. it's 'max' capacity is 22 ga.

I have been looking at bead rollers, I don't need it this moment, but once the Buicks start rolling through the shop - I will.

unless you want to spend big bucks you will be buying one and beefing it up

and the motor is pretty key for one handed operation

two of my favorites
DSCN1789.jpg

DSCN1825.jpg

DSCN1827-L.jpg

DSC00939.jpg

DSC00937.jpg