Performa Built

Jsup

Too many times people come to forums to bitch and whine about how they were screwed by a vendor. I'd like to take this opportunity to do just the opposite.

I bought their top of the line transmission from Performa Built back in November. As sometimes happens, when I went to change the filter, the pan was filled with metal shavings.

I called Frank at Performa and told him I had an issue – he said, no problem, bring it back and they'd take care of it. Typically they would rebuild the transmission, but being this was the season to drive the car, I asked what he could do to speed up the process and, since they're only 2 hours away from me, offered to drive down with my old trans. When I got there, sitting the bench was a brand new Corvette-specific transmission that they had built in 2 days, in anticipation of my arrival.

The techs in the shop spent time with me, reviewing possible scenarios of what may have happened with the orginial trans. They took my old transimission in, stripped off all the hardware, cleaned it to like-new condition and installed it on the new transmission. When I got the transmission back, even my old parts looked new.

I spoke with Alan, the owner, and they provided me with a can of cooler flush, additional new filter and gasket so I could do the first filter change at no cost. It's apparent they do everything they can to satisfy their customers.
There are companies out there, many of which only offer a 30 day warranty, that would've given me a hard time 8 months after my purchase. Performa made fixing the problem their top priority, and didn't resort to citing warranty fine print or pointing fingers at what I may have done to cause the problem. They just fixed it.

Performa now offers a 2 year warranty, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again. If you're shopping for a transmission, I recommend you consider Performa.

http://performabuilt.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
:D:D SO GLAD that worked out for you, and your injectors are working fine, the car is EVER so much better....but every once in a while, even on the same tank, some rough idle occurs.....it's fuel, I still messing with it....

and you are right, most auto trans shops do not like redoos on something they did not install, and even then....which is why I did my own this time around....

looks like I MAY have to do another one too...:crap::chinese:

It is rare but reassuring to know that there are still some businesses with integrity out there.
Performa did the right thing by you and they are getting a lot of good free word of mouth advertising for it. A lot of other companies could learn from them.

I few years back I purchased a crate motor from an ebay vendor, the motor was "Less than perfect" to put it nicely. Even with a guarantee I was given a ROYAL run around. The company did not want to return calls or honor the warranty.
YES - I DID invoke the power of the internet to put pressure on the seller, that was the ONLY WAY I was able to get the seller to honor the warranty. Sad but true..... If it wasn't for a TON of bad publicity that the seller got he would have never refunded my money.

I learned not to make any long distance deals from that episode. A local vendor is SO MUCH MORE LIKELY to treat you with respect than someone who thinks that they will never see you again.

Congratulations Performa Built - for supplying excellent customer service after the sale!

glad to hear there are still companies out there treating people the way they should.
since we're all giving kudos, do you mind throwing a little information our way? like where is this place? what tranny did they do for you? so on and so forth.

..but every once in a while, even on the same tank, some rough idle occurs.....it's fuel, I still messing with it.

You know, when I worked in a gas station as a kid, we had this white cream you put on the bottom end of the tank dipstick. It turned red when it hit water. Came in a little clear jar. Can't remember the name though.

..but every once in a while, even on the same tank, some rough idle occurs.....it's fuel, I still messing with it.

You know, when I worked in a gas station as a kid, we had this white cream you put on the bottom end of the tank dipstick. It turned red when it hit water. Came in a little clear jar. Can't remember the name though.

HOw long did it take to react?? I use a maple stick from scrap, marked to depth, so knowing capacity I can tell how much is in the tank to verifly gauges...doing it for some time now...simple to put that on the end....I need to fish around a tad....wonder how it reacts with ethanol??

:shocking:

HOw long did it take to react?? I use a maple stick from scrap, marked to depth, so knowing capacity I can tell how much is in the tank to verifly gauges...doing it for some time now...simple to put that on the end....I need to fish around a tad....wonder how it reacts with ethanol??

:shocking:

Pretty much an immediate reaction.

http://www.benfordfueling.com/shop/water_detection.html

glad to hear there are still companies out there treating people the way they should.
since we're all giving kudos, do you mind throwing a little information our way? like where is this place? what tranny did they do for you? so on and so forth.

Sure...700R4 and a torque converter from them.

My original trans lasted about 3 days with the new motor.

I purchased their "invincible" model, top of the line.

I don't use the car much, and as such, I waited about 8 months to change the filter. When I did there was grey sludge in the pan. Not pretty. I called Frank and he said "no problem". Since it's a short season here, I harassed him to do something FAST. They are only 2 hours away from me, so I drove the trans out. I was going to stay out there for 3 days so they could rebuild it. Instead he just handed me a new one built to the same spec.

Turns out it was the converter that went bad. The whole trans needed to be cleaned up anyway, so getting a new one was a good deal. He COULD HAVE just cleaned up the old one and gave it back with a repaired converter. But NOPE. He gave me a totally new trans and converter.

Thier new systems have a 2 year warantee AND if the trans EVER goes bad again, it's $900 to rebuild it for life. This is a $3000 trans.

Oh, and they include a trans cooler and flush kit with every trans.

well, if you like transmissions that shift for themselves.... [j/k]
sounds like absolutely stand up customer service. i hope they get the business they need to get RICH. people that work like that should make a lot of money. :thumbs:

well, if you like transmissions that shift for themselves.... [j/k]
sounds like absolutely stand up customer service. i hope they get the business they need to get RICH. people that work like that should make a lot of money. :thumbs:

Decades ago, make this late 60's I ran into a fellow with a auto repair shop in Silver Spring Maryland, his name was Jim Beatty, his sidekick there was Sherman Slye....well, they quickly gave up on general repair and specialized in auto trannies.....Automotive Transmissions Inc.....or ATI, some years later Jim too the torque converter operation out of Silver Spring and moved up the road to Baltimore.....leaving the old Tranny shop to Sherman ......

So some 15 years goes by, I had a '67 GTO short shaft 400 tranny I put in a '72 Lemans I built up a tad.....that car went some 300k+ hard duty miles with a friend using it for delivery work after I sold it in the '79 Sha fuel crunch.....so I buy the car back years later, make this '89 or so, engine having finally saying FU and gave up.....so out comes the tranny, and back to Sherman's shop the old ATI......

tranny going behind a 455 this time round, figgered it better be refreshed.....

SO, I walk in the shop, find Sherman....it'd been 15 years don't forget...so I says hello, he recognized me but totally flatfooted, so right in front of the customers waiting in the room, shop full of cars....I says REALLY LOUD to him.....Hey Sherman, I got a problem on this 400 turbo you built, i'ts not slamming 2nd gear right, can you warranty this?? he looks at me, and the shop full of customers are all listening at this point.....so he has that flatfooted dumb look, kinda like a caged bear.....and I says....'It's only been 15 years and 300k miles......:lol: there gotta be a 'EXtended Warranty' no???

:rofl::rofl: some 150 bux later I was out the door....

:crutches:

Jim Beatty is the same guy with the ATI torque converter action we used to see years ago all over the drag strips....one of the pioneers in converters from what I understand.....

I have heard Jim retired realy nice to down south here in Florida, and by now probably sold the business/name??

I still see the same red letters on yellow background ATI.....I presume the same company, wether Jim has anyting to do with it or not....

:cool: