Parking brake

Simple, any bill mandating federal emissions checking in ALL states and uniform standards across the board, probably to even be tougher than Kalifornia, the safety maven/Naderites will jump on the back of ..............

...............Pardon ME, but these enviro/safety maven nazi's will not stop untill we all walking....hope I"m rong, but certainly the odds in vegas say I"m right.....

:trumpet:

OK, so I repeat my question: What does any of that have to do with whether or not you can make the e-brake on a C3 work properly?

Federal mandates or not, I want mine to work. I will now work on it some more using information given here. This is the first time I have ever heard anyone say that they actually can work as they should.

Last edited:
Simple, any bill mandating federal emissions checking in ALL states and uniform standards across the board, probably to even be tougher than Kalifornia, the safety maven/Naderites will jump on the back of ..............

...............Pardon ME, but these enviro/safety maven nazi's will not stop untill we all walking....hope I"m rong, but certainly the odds in vegas say I"m right.....

:trumpet:

OK, so I repeat my question: What does any of that have to do with whether or not you can make the e-brake on a C3 work properly?

Federal mandates or not, I want mine to work. I will now work on it some more using information given here. This is the first time I have ever heard anyone say that they actually can work as they should.

BECAUSE in 16 friggin' years of car ownership it was a rare car where the brakes held jack diddly.....and that was with rear drums....

and so ONE guy in my entire rememberance of shark ownership gets his brake to work somehow.....when all the rest just accept that it's a design inadequacy and the FACT that it's a 5" drum trying to hold 3400 lbs on a incline....well....pardon ME, but I take my experiences to the bank....

and I also know how the liberal mind set works....they HATE CARS....

:tth:

Wow....some excitement here..ha ha....Keep in mind that the same skinny parking brake shoes were used on most of the C-4's, all C-5 and pretty sure used on the C-6's. G.M. has screwed up some things on the Corvette, and fixed/re-designed things when necessary. The C-3 parking brake was good enough that no changes were made in the 14 years of production. I guarantee you nay-sayers ( not mentioning any names) that the parking brakes worked fine when the car was new. Similar to everyone putting electric fans on their 'Vette to cure "overheating". The 'Vette, when new, didn't overheat. Bottom line....it boils down to either improper set-up or lack of maintenance.

If you use properly sized hydraulic cylinders to press the shoes against the drum you can hold more than 3400lbs with these 5" drums :bounce:

Couple of notes, when I rebuild arms I turn the star wheels as they are sometimes a little long and the shoes will drag otherwise. I do use the SS shoes and have been able to get the lock up. Once I found some were thick and I had to dress them so the star wheel would fit.
Once the arms are done I fit rotors most of the time and dial them in. Last check I do is to hold the lever to see if the shoes drag after I faced the wheels, they should not. Then I adjust the star wheel until I lock them up, back them off and ship them. the installer will final adjust on the car. If you have the original cables then they may be stretched and should be replaced. I had my 69's adjusted to hold the car on a kwik-lift ramp no problem. It was a hair too tight in fact and heated up in a short drive. I really don't use them on my cars, they're all new but I just never bothered to go back and final adjust them.