Opinions on my combo

zz71s

I am changing the heads and cam on a 350 the heads are zz4 with 58cc chambers the head gasket is .028 the piston to deck is .024 and 12 cc dishes.
this gives me about a 9.8 to 1ish cr and I was planning to use the Voodoo 60101
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60101
So what do you all think?

9.88:1 acc to the online calculator (assuming 4.000 bore)

It should work fine with that cam but 213/219 is very mild and the lift (454/468) is way under what the heads and springs can handle.

It will have lots of low rpm power, the engine would be good for towing.

I've had the even milder Edelbrock Performer cam in my old 350 (10:1 CR with flat tops and 64cc heads) and it was a fun engine however, it pretty much fell flat on it's face at 5000.

If you want low rpm power instead of a high reving engine then it seems to be a good combo for you.

I am going to use some 1.6 rr but I am worried about detination

Last edited:
I don't know if you've posted this anywhere else but there are a couple other factors like intake, carb and exhaust that will really determine the choice of your cam. If you're staying with the stuffy stock items, your cam selection is fine. But if you're opening up the exhaust in particular and going with a good breathing intake, you're wasting those heads with that cam.
My opinion (and it's worth exactly what you're paying for it) is you should be looking for a cam somewhere around 268-280* total duration with more lift. Of course, your lift will be limited more should you stick with the flat tappet cam. I would like to see around 276* intake/282* exhaust with about .510-.520" lift at the valve, but those are roller cam numbers. You might be able to get more like .470-.480" lift with a flat tappet. The 1.6 rockers will help slightly.

Well the vette that this engine is going into looks a whole lot like a 1983 k20 pickup that weights about 8600 lbs so I was looking for low end torque

Well the vette that this engine is going into looks a whole lot like a 1983 k20 pickup that weights about 8600 lbs so I was looking for low end torque

you could always use a standard .040" gasket and lower CR a little if there's detonation.... Based on my experience with flat tops and the performer cam (194/202 if I remember correctly) you should have no problem.

I can't see anything under 10:1CR with aluminum heads having a detonation problem as long as the timing and fuel are even close to right. I'm running something like 9.5:1 with my iron heads and have no detonation issues.

The carb is a Holley 770 with the ZZ4 intake and some 1 5/8 D port headers and true duals

Think about RRs?

I agree the stk cam is too small. The question is: How much low end grunt are you willing to give up for a little more on top?
There are so many build up and dyno tests that you should be able to find something that meets your needs.
Sounds like you need serious Tq just off idle to move all that weight?
A mild cam and 1.6 RRs might be the ticket. JMHO

R

My Combo

I run a CC 218-224 HR w/ 1.6 RRs. M-21 trans and 3:55 gears.
It is a little soft off idle, till 1500 rpm. It is strong after 2,000 rpm w/peak tq at 4,100. If you have an auto w/tall hwy gears that could be a problem?
If I had an auto rather than my 4 sp, I would go one step smaller on cam.

R

it has a sm465 granny 4 speed first gear is 6.55 and 308 gears in the rear end

Ahhh, missed this part. 4.25 tons??? You sure you want to stick with a 350? That's just a boatload of weight to be moving. Your truck sounds like it weighs just about the same as my '99 1 ton dually and the 6.5 turbo diesel doesn't even like to move it .

Yep a big block would be nice but thats not going to happen.
I have the ZZ4 top end laying around so we thought we would try i.