Off set wheels

WA Vetter

Hi All
I have a 72 stingray and want to run 15 x 10" rims with 275 TAs (I think 295s will be to big) on the rear, I have offset trailing arms. Does anyone know the off set I will need on the rim to keep it all inside the body work, I dont want to modify the rear guards,

I used to run a 275-60-15 tire on the stock rim with a 1" spacer/adapter. That translates into a 8" wide rim with 3" BS, (stock is 4").
My fenders were stock at that time and it did not rub.

IM009906.jpg

Problem with the bulky tire is that it will rub against the frame, therefore 4" BS is pretty much the minimum. 10" width and 4" BS will stick out a little too far....

Here's another shot of a 295-50 tire on stock 8x15 rim... required a 2" spacer to clear the frame and trailing arm....

100_0053Small.jpg

sticking out a little.... needed flares :lol:

Welcome to the motley crew of the Flying Dutchmen....

first post I see, I have pretty stock offset result with 2.5" adapters on my '89 vette rims 17x9.5 and stock arms with ebrake moved....275/50/17 tires in rear 255 in front...

Thanks for that, the 72 has the same problem as BAD79 (tyres and rim hangs out the guards) i need to get hold of a 275 to measure the clearance thought someone might of had the same problem. I run 10" on th 88 with 275s and 315s without a problem

Where on the frame are your tires rubbing ... I used to run 295/50r15 on my 79 vette, with the factory aluminum rims, and stock suspension ... no spacer plates ... i had to move the park brake mounts on the frame of the car one bolt over so the cables would not rub on the tires but i never had any tire rubbing issues on the frame. I never had a rear sway bar so i could not tell you if that was an issue.

Some time ago when visiting tire sites like Tire Rack, I noted they measured offsets from the INSIDE of the tire bead surface to the flange face, I guess to be consistent with measuring width, use the same plane....
but for ME, I found it much easier to calculate just laying a 2x4 over a naked rim on the outside of the tire flange on the flat portion, not that little turn out lip....and so, by my measure off the stock steel '72 wheels I found it was 3.5" offset 15x8 rims....
the '89 vette rims are 17x9.5" and measured 7" even....so with my 2.5" adaptor they net out at 4.5"
since they obviously were 1.5" wider overall, that is 3/4 inches per side, with regard to the wheel center line....makes my wheel off the stock center by 1/4 inch, hell with it, wanted 275 rubber to clear the stock t-arms, and moved the ebrake cable to behind the rotor, most guys seem to think the top position is better, but for some reason I chose behind the rotor, don't remember why...been 15 years now...

so my tires clear the stock t-arms by about 1/4 inch, and are really close to the stock 7/16? sway bar...

my car was a old custom that at one time had wicked flares, and so were trimmed down to something strongly resembling a later shark, at the time the burgundy paint was done by previous owners.....I had a friend here with a bone stock '72 and his flares were much less then mine, but yet mine were just about the same as another friend with a '78.....also a bone stock body...

I have no issues with tires sticking out, or rubbing....

:p

Where on the frame are your tires rubbing ...

the bulky 15" tires "behave" different than 17" or 18" lower profile tires. The sidewall flexes so much that is is unpredictable where and how bad they rub.... when you take a corner hard enough to deflect the tire sidewall you hear all kind of noises with these old cars ... LOL... dunno if you can hear the tire rubbing or not... after the run you will see some shiny spots where the tire took off the paint on the frame or trailing arm.......
again, less or not an issue at all with low profile tires like a 285-40-18 (example)... compared to a 255-60-15....

Where on the frame are your tires rubbing ...

the bulky 15" tires "behave" different than 17" or 18" lower profile tires. The sidewall flexes so much that is is unpredictable where and how bad they rub.... when you take a corner hard enough to deflect the tire sidewall you hear all kind of noises with these old cars ... LOL... dunno if you can hear the tire rubbing or not... after the run you will see some shiny spots where the tire took off the paint on the frame or trailing arm.......
again, less or not an issue at all with low profile tires like a 285-40-18 (example)... compared to a 255-60-15....

:surrender::eek: interesting, didn't know that, every once in a while in a parking lot I hear some tire squeel, and it's at LO speed, sounds like in front too, but the wheel is not locked....hummm....

:twitch: