New to the Corvette world, lots of questions

rick piras

I'm glad I found this site. Most of the Corvette sites I found earlier were way less concerned with the Pro-Touring/restomod style cars that appeal to me. To introduce myself, I'm an old fart (well, 53) in San Jose Ca. I recently got an "offer I couldn't refuse" on a complete, but not running or matching numbers '65 convertible (for $12,000!!). That was perfect for me since I'm not a "matching numbers, keep it original" kind of guy anyway. So I sold my pro-touring '70 Chevelle convertible, and have a nice nest egg of cash to put towards seriously modifying the Corvette. Based on my experience with the Chevelle, I would REALLY like this build to based on a serious performance chassis, the Chevelle had a noodle of a frame. So for my first question, would anyone with experience with aftermarket frames please let me know any recommendations or concerns that they have encountered? I'm looking at the SR III chassis pretty seriously and would love feedback on both the frame itself, and also the company (customer support, etc.) or suggestions of other frame suppliers that you'd recommend. If I've done my signature correctly, there should be a link to my homepage with pics of the Chevelles, as well as the new (to me) vette.
Thanks,

Welcome to the motley crew of the Flying Dutchmen....

and yes, this is the home of the hotrodders....

I forget the name of the company, but about 16? months ago I saw a really nice aftermarket frame company for several thousands, down here in Kissamee Florida show...NCRS BTW, FYI....resto mods on vettes were selling for more than NCRS restos.....certainly as much, car for car...anyway....

:shocking::beer:

Welcome to VetteMOD:hi:

The Chevelle looks great and the Vette looks like a steal for 12K.

There are a number of companies that make aftermarket frames for C2/3. Depending of what you want, you could also mod your 65 frame. Lots of info here to guide you.

Welcome to VetteMOD:hi:

The Chevelle looks great and the Vette looks like a steal for 12K.

There are a number of companies that make aftermarket frames for C2/3. Depending of what you want, you could also mod your 65 frame. Lots of info here to guide you.

DeJaVu allover again...I had a blue/white/white '70 Lemans/GTO convertible...455 was the tow car with my kids and the boat....tons of fun....
it was a hotrod, of course....

I stuck DPFI on it in my garage winter 02-03....

:crutches:

Welcome to VetteMOD :hi:

Frame ? How much do you want to spend ? A tubular frame with C5 suspension sure is a nice improvement over the 40+ year old stuff but how far do you want to go with this ??
The stock frame - if in good shape - can be modified, strengthened and will accept a aftermarket dual mount spring or even C5 - C6 suspension... there are options.... depending on how much work or money you want to pump into this....
IMO... a '65 vert does not have to be a 10 sec car to be cool.... a pump gas stroker SB and a 5spd is more than enough to make it a fun ride...:D

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions guys. You're inputs are really valuable since I do NOT consider myself a Corvette expert by any means. My short term goal is to simply get the car running and back on the street, then start figuring priorities on modifications.
MYBAD79: I guess the short answer to your question is that I want this car to be a fairly serious performer for the street, with an emphasis on handling and brakes to match the power. I guess my goal is a car that can run with modern high-performance cars, with the looks of a vintage. I'm comfortable doing almost everything on a car except paint, and would like to spend as little as possible, but I'm willing to pay if I get a lot of bang for my buck. My experience with A-bodies is that the frames are a real weak point, especially on 'verts. When I bought this car I assumed I'd want (at the least) to go with rack and pinion, Baer/Wilwood/C5 brakes and modified suspension. I figured those would be $6k-$7K just for parts. The SR III complete chassis is $14K, and I was hoping to offset at least $5K of that by selling off the stock somponents. So, IF my assumptions are correct the cost delta is only a couple of thousand. But, bike I said earlier, I'm not an expert on Corvettes, so if the stock frame can be stiffened and I can hang good components of it, I'm all ears for ideas. If my assumptions are wrong, I'm very open to ideas and suggestions, and that's why I'm here.
Thanks again guys.

Welcome to this site! I assume you were wearing a mask when you robbed that guy for his Corvette :) Best deal I've heard of in long time!
The SRIII requires some body cutting but guys that have one are very happy. The are other frames that dont require cutting. In one of my other posts you can see the frame I just aquired from my buddy. It's all perimiter welded for strength. I'm looking foreword to the completion, Should be a lot stiffer! I see you've been talking to Marcus at Savitske's as well. I have some of his components on my car, Adjustable control arms, howe tall stud bj's too. My car was on his site for a while - it's an old pic. At this point I have a TBI sb400 in my car but when it rolls out of the shop next time it will by powered by an LS engine.

00fxd, I wasn't wearing a mask, but I did have a look of shock on my face when my co-worker told me his asking price. I never got into the car building hobby/passion with the intent to make money, just to have nice cars that I enjoy driving. Plus you don't want to make enemies out of co-workers, so I told him that his asking price was way too low. He's seen my Chevelles, and told me that he just wanted the car to go to someone like me that would fix it nicely. When I went to his house to have the car towed home, he pulls out new (still in the box) Al Knoch door panels, the original steering wheel, and the original spinner style hubcaps, and a few boxes of extra parts, all in really nice shape. Like I said, it really was an offer I couldn't refuse!

I LOVE that chevelle. The seats and color remind me of a boat I had a while back. I miss that boat....the seats were identical in color and layout to the Chevelle.

And great find on that 65.

Welcome to VetteMod

If I may add a comment, I'd like to say don't just immediately jump into it and start making modifications. Get the car running, do maintenence, but mostly just drive it for a year. Get to know it, get to know Corvettes better. The car will tell you what it wants when you get to know it. These cars are different from Chevelles & Camaros & the like and you'll find your priorities & ideas for it change in time.
For the first year, your list should read: Learn, Drive, Think

And have fun with it!

John

00fxd, I wasn't wearing a mask, but I did have a look of shock on my face when my co-worker told me his asking price. I never got into the car building hobby/passion with the intent to make money, just to have nice cars that I enjoy driving.
Rick, thats an expression we use around here when someone gets an especially good deal.
I'm that same way, not in it for the money, I build them to suit me flat black is good. You sound like you know how to build a good car, keep us posted.
Frank.

Rick, I have pretty extensive mods to my '72, and am happy to discuss what was done and how, I even have notes on it all.....

:devil::flash: