New member - '84 project

molested84

Greets to all,

I bought the Vette in '95 and have thoroughly enjoyed it ever since. A few years back it started giving me problems and after chasing a few gremlins, one of which the car would shut down @60mph for no apparent reason, I decided to pull the Cross-Fire and replace with Edelbrock carb and manifold. Before that, I realized that a full restoration can eat your wallet up in a hurry so I went a different direction and tried to fix things on the cheap. Pretty much everything I've used was found on eBay for way less than retail.

Since I got the car, one headlamp would always get stuck in the up position. Not any more.

dcmotor04.jpg

dcmotor_02.jpg

Gear reduction motor - $20
couple of limit switches - $3
Waiting 14 seconds for the headlamps to fully rotate - priceless.

Also replaced the breadbox with a glove box from a mid '90s Cadillac - $16

glovebox_01.jpg

glovebox_02.jpg

Since the Caddy had a fuel door button, I went ahead and made myself a locking fuel door.

fueldoor_01.jpg

fueldoor_02.jpg

Replaced the Atari dash with Autometer gauges (not so cheap).

gauges_01.jpg

Hood release cables were all dry-rotted and finally broke, so I adapted some Lokar emergency brake cables to use instead (those will never break).

e-brake_4.jpg

bracket_3.jpg

bracket_4.jpg

Currently working on a remote control system to operate the locks, windows, hatch and fuel door.

:drink:

unmolested84, noun - a 1984 Corvette in Top Flight condition eligible for judging by the National Corvette Restorers Society.
molested84 - what I got.

I like those lokar cables, didn't know they made e brake cables...good to know since I need a custom set

WAY smarter than the average bear, good show man, and I note your location....Maricopa Co. say hell to Sheriff Joe for me man, gotta love the dude....:smash::cool::D

Thanks Gene, I knew you'd chime in sooner or later.

Yeah, Joe's pretty cool, kinda like Clint Eastwood, last of the good guys.

Say, how's the weather back in my home state of Florida? Mosquitos botherin' ya much?

Thanks Gene, I knew you'd chime in sooner or later.

Yeah, Joe's pretty cool, kinda like Clint Eastwood, last of the good guys.

Say, how's the weather back in my home state of Florida? Mosquitos botherin' ya much?

Nah, hell NO, I bother THEM!!!!, Chemical warfare, you know....

so what was your handle on some other forum, seems you recognize my handle which has not changed over some years+....

:surrender::trumpet:

so what was your handle on some other forum

OOOH, you must mean THAT other forum...same handle. I got burned over there awhile back...some guy took my $60 and never delivered. Funny thing, he was selling a remote door lock unit and now here I am building my own.

so what was your handle on some other forum

OOOH, you must mean THAT other forum...same handle. I got burned over there awhile back...some guy took my $60 and never delivered. Funny thing, he was selling a remote door lock unit and now here I am building my own.

Was his handle Durango Boy by chance?? if not, nevermind, one of the large reasons this group/forum was enabled was the total reaction to him in the C3 crowd, and so it's a long story, and involved a friend of mine down the coast a way...but it's ancient history now....

:hissyfit::clobbered:

Wow ... 14 seconds for lights to rotate? Why didn't you just go with 88-96 motor conversion? Seems like a lot less hassle, can the be speeded up at all? Looks like would make a decent setup for a 82 vettes headlights.

Can you post a video of the lights in action or would we fall asleep before they fully opened J/K ... but post a video, I for one would like to see them working. Also curious why you ,ounted gauges to the hood latch support instead of your dash?

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome. Part number is: EC-80FU.
The bracket is just a piece of 2"x2"x.25" aluminum angle. I used one of the original bolts and added a 3/8" extruded "U" nut. A smaller bolt will probably work, it's what I had lying around.

bracket_2.jpg

Threads are tapped 7/16"-20 for the cables.

bracket_1.jpg

box.jpg

I took Lokar's cable block idea to attach the skinny factory cables to the e-brake cables and used the same screws from the kit.

universalbrakecables_black2-fs.jpg

bracket_3.jpg

There was just enough room to go along side the battery.

e-brake_cables_1.jpg

Had to shave a little plastic from the bulkhead connector.

e-brake_cables_2.jpg

The latch is hardened/tempered steel which I couldn't drill. And I couldn't get the brake cable to go into the factory clip. At the time, I didn't want to weld on it because I wasn't sure the damn thing would work. So all I could think of was a way to sandwich something around it. So a couple more pieces of aluminum slotted with a saw and tapped with #4-40 screws.

Next time I'll just weld on a tab with a hole in it.

e-brake_4.jpg

In the beginning, I think I was way too critical of the angle and alignment and if it were off a few degrees, it would probably work just fine.
One thing for sure, when you pull back on the release handle it is super smooth. There's no drag on the cable and all you feel is the hood springs pop.

I don't know how the C3's are set up but it would be interesting to know if something like this would work on those years as well.

Dave

I did something like that on my 82 about 10 years ago, I had a lokar cable for a hood releaase, it was a lokar throttle cable however.

Those parking brake cables look nice & beefy, I'm gonna need some for my wilwood spot calipers for sure.

Those parking brake cables look nice & beefy, I'm gonna need some for my wilwood spot calipers for sure.

Yeah -- that'll be the ticket - looking forward to your implementation --- so I can copy it!
Are you mounting on the uprights? Or what's the plan?

Lokar is such well built gear. I'm using for my throttle and kick down on the Webers.

Cheers - Jim

thanks for taking the time to post all the details :thumbs:

this is going to be one of my future projects once the rear suspension is done .....