New engine for a 76 4sp

livelotus

Hi all,

I have been truely sweating the details on the selection of an engine for my 76. One area of concern is that most crates come with a flex plate and I have a manual trans (that I want to keep). I would like to use the existing clutch/bellhousing setup that came with the car. I understand that I will most likely I will need to buy a new flywheel-pressure plate-clutch disk.. but which one? and what size? gee... I guess I might need a new starter?

Here are the engines I have been looking at...Will they fit under the original hood? Can I use my existing clutch z bar...

Am I missing something? Fuel pump...etc... I think I am ready for the loony bin...

Choices: #1 CT350PC1 Year One Power Crate ($3K great price within my budget)

#2 GM 24502609 ($4K a bit more cost but still in range)

#3 GM 19201330 ($5K pushes my budget but it comes with all the bells and whistle)

Any experienced words of wisdom?

Howard

I dunno any of those numbers, but 12 years ago I went with a '89 truck 4bolt roller engine, have L98 aluminum heads on it now for some time, and of course injection...

the while I"m atit's set in, you maybe want a overdrive tranny also....

spend ALL your money....:yahoo::beer:

The gm numbers are from the GM performance catalog. I never thought deciding on and engine was going to be so involved. Though I have admit, I'm having fun.

H

I dunno any of those numbers, but 12 years ago I went with a '89 truck 4bolt roller engine, have L98 aluminum heads on it now for some time, and of course injection...

the while I"m atit's set in, you maybe want a overdrive tranny also....

spend ALL your money....:yahoo::beer:

for $5000 you can find a LS1 6spd combo incl computer and accessories. More work but well worth it. When I need a new engine that's what I'm going to do.

The engine that Adam is selling is a painless fit.. at that price you'll have lots of money left for future performance mods....

LS1 ??? definitely... If I was in the market for a new engine this is a no brainer.

I spent more money on my TKO and 383 than a entire Firebird or Camaro with LS1 would have cost me....

Any v8 sbc with a 2 piece rear main seal will directly fit including your flywheel and bellhousing. If by chance the replacement engine is not drilled and tapped for the ball stud for your clutch cross shaft [z bar] it will be a simple matter to drill and tap the block for the hole. The boss should be there on the block. If you happen to end up with a later one peice rear main seal block, all you should have to change is your flywheel. There is a change around '76 I think with left and right side dipstick, just get the correct engine for your application to fit your pan. Any reputable supplier will be able to provide the engine you need. The 2 questions you'll need to ask the supplier is about the rear main seal thing and the dipstick side. Everything else is a bolt in. Easy stuff :D
If you are considering the 400hp engine you need to know that you will need to run at least 3.55 gears, preferably 3.73's or higher. You probably have 3.0's or 3.23 so you definately should stay with torque engine option.

If you've got a 350 now, any 350 will be a simple swap. Hard to tell if a higher rise intake will fit unless you try it. If not, you can reuse your old intake or buy a different air cleaner.
Swapping a flywheel for the flexplate is simple. Chances are your old flywheel will be fine if the surface is not destroyed. If you need a new one, they only come in 2 varieties 153 or 168 tooth. Just get a new flywheel and clutch for your year car. Torque the bolts to spec and use loctite on the bolts. Your existing trans and clutch linkage will work. If there's no z bar bolt, you can buy a corvette specific z bar mounting bracket from SDparts.
If you're keeping your accessories, you might have to swap the water pump. Vettes came with a short pump, early ones did anyway.

Thanks for the info,

I gather from your e-mail that I need to reuse my old oil pan. I think the year one engine has the dipstick on the wrong side. I don't know about the gm motors.

I did consider the LS motors but though tempting, It's a bit more work and time.

Thanks

I'll bet you could get that engine shipped (truck freight) to MD for less than $400.

In November I had a V8 chev shipped from Ontario to BC - across the country. I don't know if it was weighed, I told them it ws 350lbs. When it got here the f'n crate the guy used was 100lbs - I couldn't move it by myself. The total bill including taxes [13%] was $269.00!! I was fine with that. It traveled from Toronto to Calgary on one carrier and then transferred to another carrier to travel to our small city in southern BC. It came in a timely fashion as well -even after loosing it a couple of times. I think it was the first time they ever shipped something [even tho they are the "largest carrier chain on the continent"]. I followed the progress and whenever it dissapered from the radar I got right on it.