Need some help...anyone in/near NJ? NYC?

Jsup

Ok guys, i hate to do this, really, but I'm in a bit of a bind.

I need to pull my trans. The local shops want $600 in/out and the guy who usually helps me with this was just diagnosed with cancer on Sunday and is now getting Chemo. He has a lift in his garage, and I'd usually toss him a couple bucks to use it.

I lost my job, I don't have $600 to throw around right now.
The reason I have to do it now is that the transmission is still under warantee. I need to get it back to the builder to get it fixed at no charge.

Is there anyone nearby that could help me pull the trans. I will have most of the work done if you can help. Ill have the car up on stands, the C beam and Drive shaft out, and the trans supported by a jack.

I don't have a trans jack, I guess I could rent one, and I haven't pulled one out in long, long time. I'd like another set of hands, and an additional brain, with me so I don't screw it up.

If anyone can help, I'd sincerely appreciate it. I'll buy beer and food, but don't have $600 now to do it, and with the warrantee issue, I'd like to do it ASAP.

Hey John,

Sorry I did not reply to your e-mail earlier. I am in the Philadelphia area, not New York. I might be available this Saturday or Sunday if you are really desperate, let me know.

Lee

John, you obviously have a floor jack, drill a 3/8-16 tapped hole in the center of your cup there, and use a piece of 2x8 about 12" long with a bolt through it, to tie it into the center of that cup.....you now have a tranny jack.....

piece of 3/4 ply would work also, but not much room to bury the bolt head into....

been doing countless trannies that way for years now....I always get the car up off the ground to the limits of the stands....but up on ramps is cool too, I just jack it there and set the wheels on.....sometimes I take several jacking attempts with like a 4x4 on the cup and keep on rising....

:suicide::sos:

I'm going to borrow a trans jack from a guy around the corner. Harbor Frieght has one for $90 if I got desperate.

I can't help with my physical presence, but can offer a suggestion. My trans has been changed by me and alone a couple times and I have done many others by myself. It helps if you have a smooth floor, or create one with a piece of plastic sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard. This enables you to slide the tranny around when it is down. As for getting it down, use blocks of wood on both sides and walk it down, one side at a time. In my picture the jack is only used to take it down to reach the wood blocks. Once you get it on the cardboard you can slide it out from underneith.
TH350TrannySwap017.jpg
[/IMG]
TH350TrannySwap020.jpg
[/IMG]
If you are doing an auto trans, be sure to have plenty of paper towels and rags around to soak up the fluid that you are bound to encounter. My floor is epoxy painted to make clean up easier and not stain the floor. I hope you find a lending hand, it is safer and will speed the job along. Good Luck!
As an after thought, I had considered buying a Harbor freight tranny jack, but unless you have a lift, the car can not be raised high enough. The trans will be disconnected and on the tranny jack, but with insufficient clearance to pull it out. I need to work off jack stands and why I use my technique. Most home garage floor jacks will not rise high enough to get you the clearance required for a tranny jack to be useful. If someone has used a successful combination using a tranny jack from jack stands, please explain. In my photos I need to take the tranny off my jack to have sufficient room to slide the tranny out on flat cardboard. Even with this technique it is a tight squeeze and the tranny is pushed forward where the frame kicks up by the motor.

Last edited:
I got closed out of my post edit while trying to respond to Gene's suggestion, so I'm adding it to this post. If Marck reads this, my problem is definitely time related and limited to about five minutes. My addition was to be the following:

BTW...I read what Gene suggests and it is exactly what I was going to do when installing my Tremec 5-speed in my 69. I wanted more stability to guide the input shaft through the clutch and into the pilot bearing without disturbing the bearing on the clutch fork. Gene has an excellent suggestion, if you can find enough clearance under the car IMO. In my case, I was rushed to get it done and used my tried and true wood block technique and it worked better than I had hoped. The input shaft went through the clutch, bearing and into the pilot first time. It took a slow and calculating process requiring close monitoring and adjustment as it was pushed forward, but worked.