My 1,500.00 1990 project

I checked the header panel and the rear halo area for any rust since this stuff has been leaking for a long time, however none has been found, not even any surface rust. I plan on removing and the weatherstrip retainers and re-gluing them back on the car to make sure it seals very well.

I bought 3 of these rust/paint remover disc things from pepboys and they made easy work of removing all the glue built up in the weatherstrip retainers. I also bought 4 large tubes of 3M adhesive to really make sure everything is sealed up.

0313101453c.jpg

It took about 30 minutes to get all 6 pieces clean on the car. 3m doesn't recommend the adhesive be applied to painted surfaces. I have always had problems with sealing due to this so I will probably leave them bare and completely glue the new weatherstrip completely to keep water out and rust forming on the bare surfaces.

0313101453b.jpg

0313101453a.jpg

0313101453.jpg

Last edited:
well I got the targa weatherstripping on the car and it fits extremely nice. Installation was simple as well.

0313101650.jpg

0313101652.jpg

Last edited:
Decided to start getting every possible interior light working on the car. One that has never worked was the headlight switch and the driver information center switch lights.

For anyone interestedI took a spare DIC I bought for 5 bucks apart today. There are two small bulbs inside of it that provide the lighting for the switches.

This is probably the same for all 90-96 cars not sure if earlier years are the same. The headlight switch will probably be similiar as this and I will post pics when I do that.

0315100946.jpg

when you remove the switch pod you can see the light bulb sockets in it. If you cant remove them simply remove the 5 small phillips screws and the back cover will come off and you can pull the bulbs out that way. (nothing will fall out when you remove the back cover)

0315100935.jpg

0315100937.jpg

Last edited:
I've heard other have issues with how the top is hard to fasten after new stripping and windows have a hard time rolling up. The willcox kit was great for me my top was easy to put back on and the door glass rolls up fine. I still have to clean up excess glue though. But the top and door glass seem to seal fine now. I still have to install the targa side weatherstripping and the door main weatherstripping and all the underhood stuff.

0315101012.jpg

0315101014.jpg

0315101014a.jpg

Last edited:
I removed all the carpet from the car today, most of it looked ok but the drivers side floorboard carpet was trashed. Should look nice when the new carpet kit is in it. I am going to be removing all the jute stuff and replace all that with new stuff, also I plan on washing the entire interior before the new stuff is put back in. It's slowly getting there, I wish I had more time then I do but I do plan on being able to drive next month. Probably won't be painted but at least it will have a new interior and weather stripping.

carpetremoved3.jpg

carpetremoved2.jpg

carpetremoved1.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the next fix I have to do on this project from hell. I have floor damage from the previous owner jacking the car wrong! I just got done ordering SMC resin, chopped mat, rollers to do this work. I also need to glass in the holes on the rear deck of the car as well and 3 stress cracks in the "B" pillar ... Don't be to envious of me!

floordamage2.jpg

floordamage1.jpg

gloordamage6.jpg

This is the damage to the driverside floor ... You would have thought after hearing one floor cracking and crunching he would have got a clue there was something seriously wrong!

Let my car be a major example of correct jacking of your C4 so far to repair this damage alone it's at about 150.00 just for the materials to fix it. :suicide::suicide::suicide:

floordamage4.jpg

Last edited:
Here is another up coming project for the vette. However I am not sure once done if I will actually put it on the car.

I just bought this TPI system (well part of it) for 60.00 bucks. Anyways I have an extra set of valve covers, all serpentine brackets, pulley's and a few other parts and plan on completely polishing them out for the car. This project will be sometime down the road though after it's smogged and everything. I also thought about plastic chroming every plastic part under the hood as well.

TPIsystem.jpg

Heres how shiny the magnesium covers can get, this is just a quik polish to show you. They would come out far nicer with more sanding.

0414091128.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to test a few spots on the intake and runners I got and see if the runner though heavily oxidized and having pitting would cleanup. I didn't really sand much on them but they do seem like they will be polishable. The base manifold seems like a good casting and seems to flatten out pretty easy with 120grit. I prefer F-body runners to polish though, I am not sure why but they are far easier to do then vette ones.

tpirunner.jpg

Last edited:
I started patching the hole on the drivers floorboard today. Basically stuck some cardboard on the floor and then glassed. Tomorrow I will sand and lay a few more layers down so its really strong. I managed to match the original contour pretty good so the carpet should lay fine.

I also started filling those holes on the back deck where the spoiler was mounted. Still have a lot of glassing to do though, this will be a easy 2 weekend job for me and then I can start putting the new interior in the car.

I will try and upload some pictures tomorrow of my progress.

Here is the start of the repair to my drivers side floor board. I started on this side because the other side is much worse so thought I would learn how to do it on the easy side. Basically I used my air tool with a sanding attachment and grinded down the floor, Then I took cardboard and put it on the bottom of the car where the hole was and semi molded it to the floors contour.

where the hole was I have about 4 layers and the rest 3, I used a roller to help shape the contours of the floor but still have to lay down a few layers.

floorrepair1.jpg

floorrepair2.jpg

I also started the repair of the rear deck on the car, there is no way possible to fiberglass from the bottom since these holes are positioned above a reinforcement panel that keeps you from doing the bottom. I think like this and after sanding and a few more layers of fiberglass both areas I have done so far will be fine.

reardeckrepair1.jpg

Last edited:
Heres the prep work I have done so far on the passenger floor. will definitely have to make a filling piece for the bottom of this floor to fill in the large holes.

floorrepair3.jpg

Last edited:
I would rough up the surface if you plan to lay more glass down...

I basically was 3-4 more good layers then I want to sand it smooth and shoot some spray touch up paint over the area.

This fiberglass work will actually come in handy for when I resume work on my 82 vette.

Well, I am tackling the passenger floor now. Still needs a lot of work but it is coming along nicely. I am trying to contour the bottom perfects so once undercoating is sprayed on it will be hard to tell there was damage. I have a considerable amount of glassing left in the inside but it's getting there to. Once I have this repair done the new interior stuff will be going in, then the car will be registered.

floorrepair4.jpg

floorrepair13.jpg

floorrepair14.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Jeff, I haven't posted but have followed this, GREAT WORK really. I'm very impressed.

I linked this post to someone on SV who is looking to tackle the same kind of project for his son in the military. He wants the car done when he comes back.

Just wanted to say, more people looking at this than you think.

Thanks for the pics and hard work.