Modern computers....

The biggest issue I see is input signal compatibility with the ECM. The software is written to deal with a specific crankshaft sensor signal pattern (although some sophisticated software sets have a couple optional input patterns they will recognize), and either the sensor wheels or software must be modified to be compatible. Neither of these options is generally easy to do for the average enthusiast.

You can deal with that with an MSD distributor with a "cam sensor" in it, but be ready to fork over $1000 or more by the time you're done. The control box is $400, the distributor is another $500 then there's "stuff" like a coil, etc...

Mike, I been tossing that around on the sensor signature....I don't think that makes any sense to me.....you pass a piece of steel with serrated edges by a magnet with a coil of wire around it....the steel will obviously induce a signature in the wire....if you use both poles of the magnet or even just one, the only variation in signal would be what polarity you want or the amplitude........

NO??.....

steel passes, magnetized, notch appears, field collapses, kick back....

I really wonder if a infra red sensor signal isn't better, as really all I did on a Volvo engine boat I had in the early 90's...was take the X1-X2 pulse input on a Grand Am computer, and triggered it off a hole in the crank pulley running IR led's/pickups...and set it for 5 volt TTL level....

much cleaner and easier then messing with coils and magnets....

but not in a tranny, obviously....

:crutches:
You can add a sensor to your existing distributor. I personally have never done it, but I Know people who have.

Bird has a dizzy he playing with on adding Mopar guts to a Gm points dizzy...

:smash::smash::thumbs:

Don't need mopar guts, I'll ask my friend how he does it. He builds motors and this is something they regularly do.