Missing head locating dowls. replacements?

BlackRat

I thought I had pulled them out before taking the block to the shop but evidently not. Some have suggested getting some brass 5\8 bushings and trimming to size. Others have said just cut the heads off 2 old headbolts and screw them into the holes that the dowls go in. Slide the head on and insert a couple of bolts and then pull the studs out and not use dowls.

suggestions, ideas, comments??? I would have had the top end together last night if it had not have been for this and the local parts house was useless....

Get some new dowels. However, since you're at it, might want to check if the chambers are centered over the bore, in which case you could elect to use offset dowels. Jegs, Summit...they will have them.

my dowels were missing once. I just said fuck it and put the heads on without them. No problems.

the other day i drove them in a little further because i thought they were bottoming in the head....bad news.

do a trial fit with no gasket to make sure the head sits all the way down on the deck.

do a trial fit with no gasket to make sure the head sits all the way down on the deck.

Thanks I will. I went up to the machine shop after work yesterday and picked up some that were still in good shape.

Wade

my dowels were missing once. I just said fuck it and put the heads on without them. No problems.

the other day i drove them in a little further because i thought they were bottoming in the head....bad news.

The dowels are what positively placed the head on the block. The bolts through the holes leave the head free enough to shift. That's why you can use offset dowels to reposition the head.