LS1 swap

Fuelie74

Well I finally got my LS1 project.

I picked up this 99 LS1 with a spun #2 rod bearing.
http://www.vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7280

Well I finally got it completely knocked apart and off to the machine shop. The crank required 0.020 on the mains and 0.030 on the rods to clean up. The block got honed and cleaned so I could get new rings to seal.

2224eed02296d662.jpg
2224eed022a04a64.jpg

is it going to be a rebuild or also a little hotrodding? Are you using ARP bolts on the mains/ i hate the crappy "all thread" the factory used

It's still going to run the stock pistons. The machine shop said the cylinder walls didn't have hardly any ware to them so they just put a new crosshatch in to make the new rings seat.

It is looking like it will be bone stock rebuild for right now. Maybe next year I will upgrade the cam and intake. Funds have grown way tighter than expected this winter between my truck getting repainted and the purchase of a new house. The main thing to me is that that the engine get done and installed in the car for spring.

I am not running ARP fasteners in the bottom end. Didn't see as much need for them on the mains and you need to have the rods resized when you run them.

Last edited:
I saw on the other thread that you bought this for $500 (with extras). Any idea what you will have into it by the time it's done?

I am not sure what I will have in the complete build yet or the engine its self. I got very busy in December with the purchase of a new house and the repainting of my truck and haven't had time to get back to the engine. I will post numbers up when I get the engine put together though.

even bone stock the LS1 is a great engine. Try to avoid a cam swap next year, way easier to do it now.... consider a used cam, checkout the LS1 forums, lots of good used stuff out there.