LS Swap in 78 Vette

Tank removed today. No tank sticker. Got most of the gas drained so it wasn't to heavy. Will figure out a bracket for the fuel pump and regulator above the frame rail.

Attachments

• Corvette Fuel Tank Build Sticker.JPG
    Corvette Fuel Tank Build Sticker.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 15
Fuel pump Location?

The reason I ask is I have a lot of room behind the front passenger fender well. I need to run a bigger line to the tank anyway? I can then use the original fuel line as the return to tank.
Does the fuel pump have to be located back by the tank? If so why?

Attachments

• Corvette Holley ECU location.JPG
    Corvette Holley ECU location.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 14
An external pump should be as close to the tank as possible and as low as possible. They dont suction well but are great at pushing fuel. I'll bet it would cavitate a lot way up in the front. The regulator/filter can be mounted anywhere you like though.

An external pump should be as close to the tank as possible and as low as possible. They dont suction well but are great at pushing fuel. I'll bet it would cavitate a lot way up in the front. The regulator/filter can be mounted anywhere you like though.

Years ago I had a gross issue with mounting a fuel pump up front, and it would vapor lock like crazy in summer heat, had to put it in back as a pusher, even with a carb....

:hissyfit:

Fuel regulator?

I have located a spot on the top of the frame rail in the rear or I could go to an in tank unit since I have removed the fuel tank. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corvette-fu...DefaultDomain_100&hash=item5652b50868&vxp=mtr Would this unit have enough pump pressure or volume?
I am using the wix fuel regulator Wix 33737.
Why am I running a new fuel line up front when the out put side of this regulator is smaller diameter than the stock steel line? Isn't the regulator output the smallest restriction so bigger line on the other side wouldn't be any benefit would it?

Last edited:

I have located a spot on the top of the frame rail in the rear or I could go to an in tank unit since I have removed the fuel tank. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corvette-fu...DefaultDomain_100&hash=item5652b50868&vxp=mtr Would this unit have enough pump pressure or volume?
I am using the wix fuel regulator Wix 33737.
Why am I running a new fuel line up front when the out put side of this regulator is smaller diameter than the stock steel line? Isn't the regulator output the smallest restriction so bigger line on the other side wouldn't be any benefit would it?

Correct, I have put FI running ~40 psi on a boat, my '72 vette, and a old Pontiac 455, and never found any need to switch from the stock steel lines...3/8 OD on the feed was plenty, and whatever the return was 5/16 or 1/4 it was fine also....proven when I run the pump with engine not running, and I take the FP regulator from ~30 psi all the way up to 60 psi, I figger that puppy is not hurting.....:devil:

I'm pretty sure the 82 ran lower pressure than the 58psi LS. If you want to go intank, check out vettworks for the f body pump conversion kit.
http://www.vetteworksonline.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=9&osCsid=eucaiq0af2uupfr0a80deajav3
Also, on your fuel line. I replaced mine because it was 40 years old and corrosion, gunk, etc and injectors dont mix. The other issue is mating a high pressure line with the steel tubing. You need a double flare on the old hardline, then adapt that to whatever fittings you're planning on using.

I'm pretty sure the 82 ran lower pressure than the 58psi LS. If you want to go intank, check out vettworks for the f body pump conversion kit.
http://www.vetteworksonline.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=9&osCsid=eucaiq0af2uupfr0a80deajav3
Also, on your fuel line. I replaced mine because it was 40 years old and corrosion, gunk, etc and injectors dont mix. The other issue is mating a high pressure line with the steel tubing. You need a double flare on the old hardline, then adapt that to whatever fittings you're planning on using.

On my boat I ran some rubber hose, double wrapped steel mesh and blue cloth outside....3/8 ID, run the same hose type from Aeroquip on the vette now, with two screw/nut tab clamps, not the type you find on a radiator hose, even though they make 200 psi rated red marked hose for FI use that really don't structurally LOOK any different than the junk we used for carbs.....:surrender:

Is this the 2 parts needed for fuel tanks conversion? My fuel line looks good and I could pressure test and flush, plus add a fuel filter at the end of the line. Looks like a lot simpler install with minimum fittings.
http://www.vetteworksonline.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=9&products_id=89
http://www.vetteworksonline.net/catalog/shopping_cart.php
Looks like going to need some kind of wiring harness adapter?

Last edited:
Just an fyi, Looks like 99-02 f body did use an inline fuel filter. One end is quick disconnect, the other is threaded into something. You might try to find one with quick disconnects on both ends.
But I know quite a few vehicles dont have replacable filters. The intank pickup filters enough I guess.

There really is no need to sdcrew up a 78-82 fuel tank for an LS swap. The tank is plastifc and can NOT be welded on, the outer steel is just a sheet, the real tank is the thick plastic liner inside.

That said, any 82 Fuel sender will fit all these tanks. The 82 sender has a provision for a tank mounted fuel pump. You can fit a walbro or a aeromotive stealth or similar pump. If you have a pump w/ a screw on inlet you can simply remove it and screw on a fuel strainer. then hook it all up with FI rated hose and bolt style hose clamps. I have done it like this, it looks factory, easy to service and bullet proof. No welding or butchering needed, the 82 sender is the ticket.

WHY would anyone want this butchered up goop sealed setup? It's eyond me. You have to rewire the stock harness for this to work. Can't be serviced without dropping the tank, instead of OEM. Only 4 bolts holding it on? Guess that's why all the sealer goop is there. I am really not impressed

Overly complicated and unneccessary

vetteworks7882tank.jpg

The original 82 pump is barely capable of 16 psi dead head, must be swapped out

The corvette regulator/filter has 3 quick disconnects. You can get adapters for AN lines or have some regular disconnects crimped to a FI hose or use some bolt type clampshells. The strainer (in tank filter) is nowhere near fine enough to provide filtering for the FI system, it's just so the pump doesn't pick up crap.

Just an fyi, Looks like 99-02 f body did use an inline fuel filter. One end is quick disconnect, the other is threaded into something. You might try to find one with quick disconnects on both ends.
But I know quite a few vehicles dont have replacable filters. The intank pickup filters enough I guess.
Spoke with Dan Hagerty yesterday and he confirmed the LS intank fuel pump has 2 socks for filtration.

I dont think it would hurt to have a filter. When I was looking through the Fram filter reference book, I was surprised how many vehicles dont have a servicable filter, Including my Nissan. If you can find a GM filter with 3/8" quick disconnects for 60psi, use it. They're generally pretty cheap and it seems GM used them on the LS/LQ motors at that time.

There really is no need to sdcrew up a 78-82 fuel tank for an LS swap. The tank is plastifc and can NOT be welded on, the outer steel is just a sheet, the real tank is the thick plastic liner inside.

That said, any 82 Fuel sender will fit all these tanks. The 82 sender has a provision for a tank mounted fuel pump. You can fit a walbro or a aeromotive stealth or similar pump. If you have a pump w/ a screw on inlet you can simply remove it and screw on a fuel strainer. then hook it all up with FI rated hose and bolt style hose clamps. I have done it like this, it looks factory, easy to service and bullet proof. No welding or butchering needed, the 82 sender is the ticket.

WHY would anyone want this butchered up goop sealed setup? It's eyond me. You have to rewire the stock harness for this to work. Can't be serviced without dropping the tank, instead of OEM. Only 4 bolts holding it on? Guess that's why all the sealer goop is there. I am really not impressed

Overly complicated and unneccessary

vetteworks7882tank.jpg

The original 82 pump is barely capable of 16 psi dead head, must be swapped out

The corvette regulator/filter has 3 quick disconnects. You can get adapters for AN lines or have some regular disconnects crimped to a FI hose or use some bolt type clampshells. The strainer (in tank filter) is nowhere near fine enough to provide filtering for the FI system, it's just so the pump doesn't pick up crap.

Either style of fuel pump requires dropping the tank for service of the fuel pump and additional wiring to make them work. There appears to be a higher cost factor of modifying the 82 pump to higher flow. Pump needs replaced and a regulator added, more fittings required to get back to the single fuel line.

?? The 78-82 unit comes out without dropping the tank. Remove the filler door and gas bib and then you can undo the hoses, remove the connector and bolts and pull the whole deal out.

You will need exactly the same stuff as with any other setup a high flow fuel pump and a corvette regulator/filter combo so you can run a single fuel line up front and the return back to the tank. The 82 sender has a return hookup so that's not a problem. You can install all this without even dropping the tank.

What is the higher cost? The only difference is getting an 82 sensind unit. Those are already set up for in tank pump so have an external plug for fuel pump power + fuel level sender. The unit has a little clamp and basket for the pump to hang in, hook it up with a short section of FI hose and 2 good hose clamps, done. TRhrow it all back in the tank, hook up wires & hoses, connect to reg/filter and it's done.

All servicable like factory and NO LEAKING TANK!!!!!!!!!!

The thing above, what keeps the plastic inner tank from seperating from the sheet on the outside and gas collecting between it, or water resulting in rust? The factory has the plastic secured to the outer shell in between the bolt holes for the sending unit, no amount of sealing crap can duplicate that. Also, the threaded inserts help keep it all together. It uses a simple gasket and is secured with plenty of bolts. You can actually get at the hoses and connector without dropping the tank. All it takes is removing the fillter door and gas bib.

The vettworks thing is making a simple solution unncecessary complicated.

I did this on an 82 last year, it took me all of half an hour to put together the fuel system using stock components...it is THAT easy.

Are the internals on the 78 and 82 the same? I was under the impression the FI tank was different. Is it baffled, sumped?