Low brake pedal.

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
Well, when I noticed my brakes were getting quite low, but still working well, I pre-ordered some new pads from VBandP. $40. (I used the same set 6 years ago).
Since I am in my busy season, I figured get the parts here untill I had the time.
Today I had the day off, and was blown away when I found the old pads were virtually like new. No biggie, I now have spares on hand.
So, since the fluid looked dark, I flushed and bled the system with new Dot 4 synthetic Valvoline fluid. NO air.
Since I have no leaks, and the hoses are fairly new SS ones by Russel, I can only conclude the master cylinder is bypassing internally. One of the last parts I have yet to touch since I bought this car 9 years ago.
I ordered a new Delco unit from Rock Auto with our discount. $55+ shipping.
To be continued...............;)

Easy test to see if it's an internal leak, if you depress slowly and the pedal goes to the floor but when yiou pump the pedal becomes hard, most likely the MC is interally leaking/bypassing.

does the pedal continue to go to the floor with steady pressure?

Nope. But since I had to pull it anyhow, and it's 27 years old, I installed a new Delco unit. $50.. Improved slightly. All that is left is pedal/clevis wear and possibly the booster, although I have never heard of one failing.

I have seen very few with wear, but they were very bad. Check that the pedal goes all the way back too. I'm sure you have.