Limited BB (427) piston choices: Opinions?

Yes, fuel stability and such have an effect, the cahart is just an average, like I said th real world numebrs of a tested fuel could be off by as much as 2 pnts.

As for Vizards fuel list, don't know how old that info is but with the constantly changing composition of fuels I'd be surprised if it was even still valid today.
Hell, it even differs from country to country. Shell V-Power is sold here and in Germany, however the German stuff is 100 RON, ours is 95.

You could make up the diff in pin height with a longer rod.:mime:

A longer rod might seem one solution, but unfortunately the next common BB rod length is 6.385" rather than the 6.255" you'd need. And, even if you got them you'd remain at the mercy of off the shelf selection, albeit a different one. Not that your idea isn't theoretically sound, but a custom set of pistons (4032 forged alloy) is likely a more practical solution in lieu of finding a "stock" slug that works.
:beer:

BTW, isn't the octane in Europe considerably higher than we can get at the pump?

Yea, you might be right. Custom pistons may be the way to go.:D

Speed Pro pistons have solid domes. If you buy the pistons with the 36cc domes, you can have them machined smaller without worrying about compromising their strength.

Speed Pro pistons have solid domes. If you buy the pistons with the 36cc domes, you can have them machined smaller without worrying about compromising their strength.

I've heard of guys doing that. I was always curious if the underside of the piston was flat, or if some matched the contours of the top (to reduce weight), so that any top machining might cause the thickness to decrease excessively.

I appreciate the info,
Mike