Just when you thought SPYDERLIGHTS were dead

I tinted my rear lenses and the 1157 bulbs cant hang.

HUH???? Can you clarify that? Are you saying you tinted the rear lenses redder?????:confused2:

Nope, i had a friend spray the black tint onto the lenses. Everything on the car is either blue, black or chrome. The stock lenses really stood out. I have some stock lenses i got at BG just in case I cant find a bulb that is bright enough to be seen during the day.

I can post a pic tonight if you want to see what im talking about.

Ummm....no thanks. I'm still trying to understand the concept of painting red lenses with black tint and then trying to make them more visible with brighter bulbs. :bonkers:
smiley-confused-purple.gif

Ummm....no thanks. I'm still trying to understand the concept of painting red lenses with black tint and then trying to make them more visible with brighter bulbs. :bonkers:
smiley-confused-purple.gif

:crap::lol::stirpot::sos::sos:

Light Intensity
The quantity of visible light that is emitted in unit time per unit solid angle. The unit for the quantity of light flowing from a source in any one second (the luminous power, or luminous flux) is called the lumen. The lumen is evaluated with reference to visual sensation. The sensitivity of the human eye is greatest for light having a wavelength of 555 nanometres (10-9 metre); at this wavelength there are 685 lumens per watt of radiant power, or radiant flux (the luminous efficiency), whereas at other wavelengths the luminous efficiency is less. The unit of luminous intensity is one lumen per steradian, which is the unit of solid angle—there are 4π steradians about a point enclosed by a spherical surface. This unit of luminous intensity is also called the standard candle, or candela, one lumen per steradian.

The LED bulbs I purchased have a higher Lumen rating than the 1157 bulbs and these LEDs focus their light in a single direction, unlike the 1157 standard bulb. Since the vette does not have a reflective housing most of the light generated by the bulb is lost, only the fraction which radiates out the top 1/3ish of the bulb is used. The LED bulbs im putting in have 24 LED's pointed rearward. A much higher percent of the light is directed out the lense.

Think of putting a dark lamp shade over a lamp. By using a higher wattage bulb, the lamp can give off just as much light as the weaker bulb and no lamp shade. Yes putting a dark shade over a lamp doesnt make sense, but I wanted the blacked out look. Therefore, Im forced to use a brighter bulb to ensure the signals can be clearly seen and are safe.

Well it seems you are in a situation of your own making. Since DOT approved the original Vette tail lights and bulb, I don't think there was a problem there. And I never heard of Ralph Nader calling the Vette unsafe because you can't see the tail lights work. Wouldn't it have been a lot cheaper and easier to just install the new 2357 bulbs that are brighter and still work in the standard socket? And if reflectivity was a concern, wouldn't it have been cheaper to crinkle up some tin foil or some other reflective substance inside the housing?

Many are tinting the lenses because it looks good. Usually it's not a problem because the inside of the housing is normally reflecting (chrome) and the taillights are bright enough. With the stock C3 housings you're asking for trouble, especially if the lenses are 30 years old, dull and scratched...

I've seen the photos of your car, it looks great with the blacked out lenses. Upgrading LEDs seems to be a good move - keep us updated. Once you have them installed post a few pics of 'no light', 'taillights' and 'brake lights'.

Many are tinting the lenses because it looks good.

Personal choice I guess. I can't see the logic in making something less visible and then spending money to make it MORE visible. But then, I don't have money to burn on such notions. Now about those Spyderlights.....:D

I even tinted the headlights to get rid of that ugly yellow crud that forms on these plastic lenses... one coat tinted clearcoat, two coats clear...

IM004314small.jpg

Many are tinting the lenses because it looks good.

Personal choice I guess. I can't see the logic in making something less visible and then spending money to make it MORE visible. But then, I don't have money to burn on such notions. Now about those Spyderlights.....:D

I get what you are saying. I wanted the tinted look, now im paying to make it work. Just like any other mod there are + and -.

:beer: