It's a start

TimAT

Addict, Cruise-In Bird-Run 1 Veteran
Got the big part pulled. Now the fun starts- rebuild steering box and the trans, replace the positive battery cable, 1/2 shafts, probably change the rear end gear, and see what happens from there.
23526dbd3853851.jpg

wow, what's the plan ??? I never pulled an engine to replace the battery cable or half shafts ....

LOL

what are you not telling us ???

LOL, alot apparently. I'm rebuilding my steering box now and i didn't have to pull the motor, just the valve covers, intake, exhaust manifolds, all the steering components, front wheels, oh yea i also had to cut a great big hole in the hood. Stupid steering boxes really are a pain to rebuild!!! So much work involved for such a little part, lmao.

wow, what's the plan ??? I never pulled an engine to replace the battery cable or half shafts ....

LOL

As the rest of the plan develops, I'll add to this thread. Not being evasive, just the final part of the "plan" has not been fully developed. But so you know, there is a machine shop and some parts in it.

LOL

As the rest of the plan develops, I'll add to this thread. Not being evasive, just the final part of the "plan" has not been fully developed. But so you know, there is a machine shop and some parts in it.

Wasn't that BB making like 500+ hp already??? :stirpot:

LOL

Yet it's totally reasonable.

I might be biased; I'm replacing my motor to fix an oil leak; and installing flares, nose and tail to fix a bump I got from a rock

Update

I pulled the trans apart- not a thing wrong with it other than a small leak at the mid plate. Gears and syncro rings all look new. Even the grooves in the brass rings are still sharp. Waiting on the gasket kit to put that one back together. I'm going to drill and tap the case for a temp sender/ drain plug while it's apart.

The block is bored .060 over, lifter bores have the bushings installed for .904 lifters, and the main studs are in and the line hone is done.
I set another block in and tried a couple of different style heads to see what heads would fit- most of the aftermarket heads have raised exhaust ports. From the test fitting, .300 raised ports will need a little more of a "ding" in the #1 primary tube to clear the steering box so no deal. Looks like AFR is going to be the head choice. Now that's done, we can order pistons and get the final piston fitting done and order the cam.

I started to pull the steering box- before I got it out I pulled a top cover bolt and stuck a probe into the grease to see what it looked like. No sign of any oil separation and it's pretty full. I made a fitting from a bolt so I can give it a shot of grease. No problem with the steering so I think I'll leave that alone for now. Still on the list and I still might pull it and open it up for cleaning anyway.

Got the parts for the new positive cable. I have a generator feeder cable that was removed from a Boeing 767- they have a 90 KVA generator so I'm thinking it should carry enough current. It's a little stiffer than a normal battery cable so routing could be a challenge.

Looks like AFR is going to be the head choice. Now that's done, we can order pistons and get the final piston fitting done and order the cam.

Keep us posted on this. I'm real interested to hear your impression on the afr heads.

When I get all the parts together I'll post pictures and maybe some video of the assembly if there's any interest-

I got all of the brackets powdercoated, along with the clutch z-bar. The battery cable is all done, I just need to dive under there and put it in.

Still waiting to talk to the machine shop about rear axle gears- I suspect the best plan is going to be pull the 4:11's and go to 3:55's or somewhere close to that. IF anyone has some spare cash to donate, I'd really like to get a Tom's 12 bolt setup..