Intake: RPM air gap or Victor JR

Based on the following (from this thread):
- how much of the time do you drive @ over 5500 rpm?
- My biggest complaint with the victor jr was that it did not like running at slow speeds. In town, stop light to stop light it was a real pain. (this on a Big Block)....
- The victor is a lot taller than the airgap (I'm concerned it might not fit with 3" filter although I have a tall hood)

and

- price ($411)
- I don't think my Edelbrock RPM heads are a good match for a Victor intake ...

I ordered the RPM air gap... even if both intakes perform about the same up to 6500rpm - the air gap is $100 less.

I also ordered the 800cfm Edelbrock carb with the adjustable secondaries... can't wait to install and test drive... :devil:

I'll soon have a Performer intake and a 600cfm Performer carb for sale, very good condition, like new.... IMO a good combo for a stock/mild 350.....

Last edited:
I did some testing a couple of years back on a solid roller 496 between the Vic Jr. and a Brodix dual plane that had already proven itself better than the Air-Gap.

At 7000 RPM the Vic Jr. was making 8 HP more than the Brodix 2018 dual plane that started to loose it first HP going past 6800 when they were even. Giving the Vic Jr. its due credit it was not far off from the Brodix torque numbers down low...... actually surprisingly close and it MIGHT have continued to pick up more beyond the 7000 self imposed red line.

However the performance of the Brodix dual plane was so good and because along with its huge runners it fit without any hassles I chose it (the vic jr. would not fit on a BB under the 66 BB hood)

Two years later and in hindsight I am still fond of the Brodix and consider it to be the best dual plane bar none however using any dual plane that by design has a shallow plenum floor on a high rpm big motor (over 454) is not something that I would do again.

This time around on a 540 I am using a milled single plane but on a 383 I would go with the Brodix and get the best of both worlds along with an easy fit. On a side note the Brodix is a flat parallel to the crank intake so exact float adjustment is much more critical.

Doug