Intake manifold modifications

guru

Anybody ever get involved with some serious modifications of their intake manifold. Like say putting some JB weld inside the intake and grinding it to shape because the ports down line up and fit your gasket perfectly?

I have heard about people doing this, with say epoxy, but that seems kind of goopy.

Never seem one too LARGE for the gaskets, only too small....

vague recollection of it being done, but no information....

I had a Edel Pontiac intake significantly welded up years ago to fit a DPFI setup on it....still have it BTW....it's FUGLY, but it worked well....

:bounce:

Apparently the various epoxy putties will work fine for what I am doing.

my 406" has a Holley Strip Dominator intake epoxied by a guy named Jarvis, it was $900 back in 1981....before CNC technology became common place epoxy was the way to go. I bet if you could peep inside a NASCAR or NHRA Pro Stock intake you would find some still today, use a good two part like Manley sells..

The Manley A + B two part epoxy putty is the way to go. I have used it many times in various applications from ET bracket to T/F over the years. In intake manifolds, if you are placing it on the floor of the runner, drill a couple of holes through the floor of the runner into the lifter valley. When applying the epoxy paste force the epoxy down through the holes when working it in the runner. Once cured trim off excess flush with underside of intake manifold. What this will do is actually give the epoxy a anchor to prevent it from coming loose over the course of heat cycling. If the epoxy is going to be applied to the roof or sides of the runners, ruff the runner with at least 36 grit to give the epoxy something to grip to.
I hope this helps.