If you have done driveshafts on a front wheel drive car HELP

so the driveshafts were ok ?? These sealed bearing assemblies are not as cheap as the bearing itself but for $100 or so not all that bad either considering it's a simple bolt on deal, no adjustment or shimming required - even the tire monkey at the local tire chain store can swap the bearings for most cars... :lol:

Usually these bearings last 120K miles and more, how many miles are on this van ?

so the driveshafts were ok ?? These sealed bearing assemblies are not as cheap as the bearing itself but for $100 or so not all that bad either considering it's a simple bolt on deal, no adjustment or shimming required - even the tire monkey at the local tire chain store can swap the bearings for most cars... :lol:

Usually these bearings last 120K miles and more, how many miles are on this van ?

I'm not sure if they were ok or not. seeing as how you have to tear the front end apart on this van to do either the half shafts or the bearings I just replaced it all. Now it should be fine for a very long time.

the van had 88k miles on it

bearings were rusted in place pretty bad took a lot of talking and hammering to get them to come out. but I found the easiest way to remove rusted in ones is to use a ball joint seperation tool on each triangle corner and this will pry them out very fast.

so far no noise and the van drives much nicer now. this van came from washington and that explains the rust. it was a rental van before I got it.

Back in Gene's day he could of got all those part with a $50 bill and still had enough left to by a case of beer.:pprrtt::pprrtt::pprrtt:

Back in Gene's day he could of got all those part with a $50 bill and still had enough left to by a case of beer.:pprrtt::pprrtt::pprrtt:

:hissyfit: Hey, I remember beer was a buck a 6 pak......:beer::noob:

and Wurtzburger Hoffbrau was fifty cents/bottle.....

I just got rid of an Alero that went through 8 front wheel bearings in just less than 80K miles

Junk bearings....doubtful a design problem.....I would assume you checked for some damage or a messed up design would somehow be apparent, compared to some other FWD car??

:hissyfit::shocking:

I just got rid of an Alero that went through 8 front wheel bearings in just less than 80K miles

That platform seemed to have wheel bearings go bad faster than other, but not that fast. Something else was wrong there like low quality aftermarket bearing or installed incorrectly.

That platform seemed to have wheel bearings go bad faster than other, but not that fast. Something else was wrong there like low quality aftermarket bearing or installed incorrectly.

2 GM bearings dealer installed
4 installed by me
2 installed by a local garage

The ones I installed weren't the best but they weren't cheap junk either
The big problem with the bearing design was that the wheel sensor was built into the bearing and if it went bad the bearing was junk

2 GM bearings dealer installed
4 installed by me
2 installed by a local garage

The ones I installed weren't the best but they weren't cheap junk either
The big problem with the bearing design was that the wheel sensor was built into the bearing and if it went bad the bearing was junk

Interesting in that most of the VSS teeth rings I have seen have been press fit on the rotors/hubs....in a couple cases they had to be removed because the interfered with earlier assys....

:nuts:

Guess I messed up ..... Not sure what happened but I now have a ABS light on and traction control light on. I know on the back sides of the passenger side spindle a pigtail broke it seems to bolt down and is somehow related to the teeth on the drive axle. Maybe a magnetic pickup of some sort, I will head to pick apart and buy a used harness for this and see if that corrects my issue. Doesnt seem to affect how the van drives or anything though.

Guess I messed up ..... Not sure what happened but I now have a ABS light on and traction control light on. I know on the back sides of the passenger side spindle a pigtail broke it seems to bolt down and is somehow related to the teeth on the drive axle. Maybe a magnetic pickup of some sort, I will head to pick apart and buy a used harness for this and see if that corrects my issue. Doesnt seem to affect how the van drives or anything though.

Yup, wheel speed sensor, mag pickup next to the gear teeth on the hub.....
no signal, sets codes...

:surrender:

Yup, wheel speed sensor, mag pickup next to the gear teeth on the hub.....
no signal, sets codes...

:surrender:

Yep and it will turn off the ABS and turn on the ABS light on the dash