Hydroboost manual brake adapter plate

HB, CASE CLOSED...you want BRAKES, put on a HB.....otherwise you get a system that feels slightly more spongy than most cars.....

in other words too much pedal travel, it WILL go to the floor stop if I want it to fairly easy....

with HB, I damn near have to stand on the SOB to get it there....HUGE difference...your call.....

I drive my '72 with HB, and have had a feeling of TOTAL confidence, where before I never had that...not once....

:gurney::crap:

HB, CASE CLOSED...you want BRAKES, put on a HB.....otherwise you get a system that feels slightly more spongy than most cars.....

in other words too much pedal travel, it WILL go to the floor stop if I want it to fairly easy....

with HB, I damn near have to stand on the SOB to get it there....HUGE difference...your call.....

I drive my '72 with HB, and have had a feeling of TOTAL confidence, where before I never had that...not once....

Ahhh...........There it is, the President of the Hydroboost fan club:rolleyes:.

There is a reason why GM only puts hydroboost on trucks and tow vehicles. Because that's where it belongs. To my knowledge, no GM production car ever came with hydroboost and some of them have world class braking performance.

If hydroboost was so great, why don't C4, C5 and C6 guys replace their crappy vacuum brakes with hydroboost? Think about it.

Ahhh...........There it is, the President of the Hydroboost fan club:rolleyes:.

There is a reason why GM only puts hydroboost on trucks and tow vehicles. Because that's where it belongs. To my knowledge, no GM production car ever came with hydroboost and some of them have world class braking performance.

If hydroboost was so great, why don't C4, C5 and C6 guys replace their crappy vacuum brakes with hydroboost? Think about it.

Maybe because their brakes are just better from the git go?? booster, what ever....all I know is as the end user I find vacuum assisted brakes a total mess to deal with on pedal feel, no matter the brand...squishy feeling pedal....sure the car stops...but...

then this '72 which suffered much worse from the 'problem'......
and I was always finding 'fixes' for the basic problem....which never lasted longer than a month...back to the same old thing...and NO it's not runout/bearings/etc......

I swapped A to B direct with NO line disconnect off the m/cyl....vacuum to HB...and the car been fine since....not a issue....so someone can explain why my example of ONE works as a HUGE improvement, when I tear that old vacuum booster apart, that held vac just fine when valve popped out of it....and I found NO apparent defect in the thing....

where am I mistaken???

:gurney::drink:

I don't know Gene. The 81 has vacuum assist, and I can lock all 4 at 100MPH with little effort.
Although my little Lincoln MarkV had hydroboost, like Larry, I cannot recall many big GM cars with it, and that includes my 2 Caddies.

I don't know Gene. The 81 has vacuum assist, and I can lock all 4 at 100MPH with little effort.
Although my little Lincoln MarkV had hydroboost, like Larry, I cannot recall many big GM cars with it, and that includes my 2 Caddies.

NOT saying vacuum don't 'work' but the touchy feely side of my says vacuum sux....

I like the totally differant feel of HB in my shark...IF I hit that rascle the car say NOW, not maybe tmrw, type feeling...

for any performance car, 4" of pedal travel is stupid....more like 1-2" is what I look for....

:drink:

I have been driving with HB for 15 years, and to me it is no different or better than a vacuum booster set up, my vette the brakes are right there,i can lock up all 4 wheels with no problem or effort, HB is for diesels and big tow vehicles. If HB was so much better and safer,it would be on all cars.

CASE CLOSED

I have been driving with HB for 15 years, and to me it is no different or better than a vacuum booster set up, my vette the brakes are right there,i can lock up all 4 wheels with no problem or effort, HB is for diesels and big tow vehicles. If HB was so much better and safer,it would be on all cars.

CASE CLOSED

But i'ts addition on a shark instead of stock system is a huge improvement, greatly reduced pedal travel, much more firm, nice solid feeling...

:smash:

But i'ts addition on a shark instead of stock system is a huge improvement, greatly reduced pedal travel, much more firm, nice solid feeling...

Did you go to a 1.25 inch bore master? That's the only way you will get less pedal travel. Its a volume equation. pi(d/2)squared x pedal travel

If there is air in the calipers from poor sealing and runout, a hydroboost cannot make the pedal firmer.

Gene, You can't change the laws of physics by making a false statement 1000 times. I know you think you are heard headed enough to change the laws of physics but we all just wish you would give it a rest.

Use hydroboost or don't use hydroboost, but understand there is no magical power to fix a poorly designed caliper sealing system.

I also feel bad that i helped you give Baskin such a hard time. Do you have any clue how hard it is to get a Phd? I can see you for what you are now. A hard headed old man who won't listen to anybody.

Last edited:

Did you go to a 1.25 inch bore master? That's the only way you will get less pedal travel. Its a volume equation. pi(d/2)squared x pedal travel

If there is air in the calipers from poor sealing and runout, a hydroboost cannot make the pedal firmer.

Gene, You can't change the laws of physics by making a false statement 1000 times. I know you think you are heard headed enough to change the laws of physics but we all just wish you would give it a rest.

Use hydroboost or don't use hydroboost, but understand there is no magical power to fix a poorly designed caliper sealing system.

I also feel bad that i helped you give Baskin such a hard time. Do you have any clue how hard it is to get a Phd? I can see you for what you are now. A hard headed old man who won't listen to anybody.

PHD does not impress me, really old BIL died in '85 smoking/cancer had one....my daughter is getting one in a couple years woopie doo, just make a steady living is my comment, but they were/are all federal, like her mother, my ex.....

there is a design difference in the HB vs the vette vac booster....I dunno jack about the HB internals....but that vette booster has a tough as naild internal spring between the input shaft and the output shaft ....I dunno why, just is....I think that is the extra soft feeling no other conclusion, must be a design requirement of the vac boosters....it's the only one I ever tore apart.....

some guys try to say my observations are not correct, and I come back and say BULLSHIT....I know what in hell I"m looking at....

I did have a 1.25 or 1.125 diameter m/cyl in the car, truck unit, when I installed the HB....the car stopped way too radical, WAY TOOO much too....

I ordered a aluminum m/cyl of stock diameter it's on the car now, and still working fine some years later now....there are no changes in the system for years now....

still comes back to a design problem of the old vac booster.....and we talkiing about a touchy feely type thing ok.....most guys are so used to a squishy pedal in a car, they don't even notice it....

BTW, I am not alone on my observations either.....

:hissyfit:

I sold my HB,why fix something that is not broke. My brakes on my vette work better than my vehicle that has HB. And i have a lot of experience with HB.

Wow this thread is officially off course. Someone needs to start a Hydroboost thumbs up/thumbs down thread and get this one back on track.

but understand there is no magical power to fix a poorly designed caliper sealing system.

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:1st: :1st: :1st: :1st: :1st: :1st: :1st: :1st: :1st:

The magical solution to this terrible lip seal/seal against cast iron bore (or stainless sleeved, only marginally better, even with O rings) is the Wilwood D8 caliper.

Wow this thread is officially off course. Someone needs to start a Hydroboost thumbs up/thumbs down thread and get this one back on track.

That's ok. It's buying me some time while I get back to it. I bought my son a new bike for his birthday and spent the weekend riding with him. It may be a few days before I can walk let alone crawl under the dash.

Also, Turtle, I think you're wrong on this one. I tried to post a schematic on how the hydroboost works but couldn't find it quickly. Unlike the vacuum assist unit, think of the hydroboost as more of a hydralic ram controlled by the valve actuated by the pedal. My understanding anyways. In other words, I think the valve can move the ram further than the pushrod and will reduce pedal travel. This is one of the reasons for this thread in the first place. WHen first installed, I was having trouble with the brakes applying themselves without me pushing the pedal.