Heat soaked starters/Myth or fact

69427 off hand I tend to agree with you, and I think MAYBE once, or was it a buddy's car?? I had to change a starter assy for that heat soak problem....

but in fact for my own shit, I always made damn sure all the electricals were snug as a bug...and that cured my problems....

except for ONCE, I had been dating the kids mom for about 6 months, so her mother decided to fly from Long Island Islip down to DCA Reagan, National airport in those daze.....so we met her in my'72 Lemans coupe...fine....

at 10pm just for closing on account of noise regs at the time, it's of course dark, and so when she got in the car, the car went DEAD as a fish....I had been tuning around the radio so I knew the battery was live....but nothing, totally dead like NO battery.....I had some jumper cables, a clip lead, and a wrench was about it....so I took the + battery term to the clip lead to coil hot, took the + term to a jumper fed through the back of the hood, slammed it shut/flat, and just took a flying leap with the open jaws on that fuse block, drove it home about 20 miles that a way.....

thing that's strange....that freeeking CAR NEVER gave that symptom once ever again......

go figger.......

:trumpet::banghead::gurney:

I had that problem in my 67 Chevell/Malibu 327/350HP. I installed in kind of a bubba way an aluminum heat shield between the starter and anything that got hot. It was so embarrassing when i was about twenty to go on dates and every time we would stop i'd have to keep the motor running or have to sit for up to an hour for it to start.
I loved that car but if it was raining and i turned off the motor it wouldn't start till the next day I did another bubba to cover the distributer. Besides that the car ran like a stripped assed ape. I could woop a 396 for about a block. I wish i still had that car, i bet it would be worth a bunch of $$$. It was not an SS but it was loaded with posi track to the SB hi HP.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2335830610103170910gGxUKP

Last edited:
Bought my 80 vette in 83 with headers installed and soon learned about the heat probelm regarding starting. Being an electronics tech at the time ehlped me to figure out the problem fast as I was able to apply battery power directly to the S terminal wire in the starter harness and it would start right up. Installed a 5 dollar relay in the starter harness and never looked back. I did this to all my GM cars after that.

I now have another GM issue with my 04 truck speedo. Known issue that they didn't fix. The GM relationship with suppliers and urgency to fix known problems has always been a joke and poorly managed. Did a lot to put them in the position they are today. It's not the cars it's the supplier/vendor management.