Head retorque

hkc3

After reading some other threads I have come to the conclusion it would be wise to retorque my alum. heads.I've got apprx. 1200 miles on them.Doing them while in the car I have to use an extension on the tq/wrnch for a few. does'nt that alter the reading,do I need to add a little extra on those bolts. Thanks Guys.

After reading some other threads I have come to the conclusion it would be wise to retorque my alum. heads.I've got apprx. 1200 miles on them.Doing them while in the car I have to use an extension on the tq/wrnch for a few. does'nt that alter the reading,do I need to add a little extra on those bolts. Thanks Guys.

You could always torque down a bolt without the extension then check it with the extension then adjust if necessary. Just a thought.

Duh why didnt I think of that,:blush: gotta quit posting when half asleep.thanx

I thought I would run out and retorque real quick before I visit the grnkds,I forgot about the shaft rockers blocking some of the bolts, hopefully unbolting and bolting them right back on wont change anything. I found another problem though,my valve cover gaskets are melting on the outer edge right above the two center header tubes on the drivers side and above the outer tubes on the pass. side.Their the steel core laminate ones that I've had for four years. I really liked them cuz they never leaked even after multiple re-installs.What does everyone else run cuz I gotta order more now.

Im using the FELPRO valve cover gaskets and love being able to remove the covers without ruining the gaskets, plus like you said..no leaks! Not having the melting problem, but my headers are Jet Hot coated. Temps went from high 700's to mid 300's after the coating. Might want to wrap the top few inches of the headers with header wrap to keep the heat off the gasket.

Mine are coated to,I just cranked the idle screws out a quarter of an inch before the last drive.I dont think it was running to lean, there are 2 other possibilities,1-I just finished installing hyd/bst and had it up in the front while running,thats when the oil leak started I guess it pooled in the back and then started leaking, maybe burnt on the gasket,or 2-the most likely I had a small exhaust leak that started about halfway through the last ride,if it was going up towards the v/c's that cuolda dunit.I have to pop the exhaust off to retorque the heads I might try the copper gaskets and some different [better] bolts.The only thing I could find that worked on the back two holes was a allen head. Anyone know of some real good bolts for these 1 7/8headers I'm all ears.

Got the drivers side head bolts checked all were fine.sure wasn't easy in the car.That damn spade end on the temp sensor sure leaves a nasty cut.I think I'll wait till this fall to do the other I've gotta get some seat time in.Really gets my blood flowing to go throughn the gears.