Has anyone ever.....

pancake

Taken a pyrometer and measured the exterior temp of their side pipes after a hard run? Or does any one run EGT's in their side pipes? I had this dream, you see, where I had a set of tubes made from carbon fiber. But I suspect that the temperatures are so high that they will exceed most, if not all, of the specs on the high temp resins.

And it was just an idea.. It wouldn't be followed up with any huge wings, neons, or any of that other dumb shit.

I've done it with an ifrared laser temp gun. I've had cast iron exhaust manifolds read in the 500 degree range when running good...a bit less when the cylinder is running rich.

The resins I've researched are good up to about 1200°F and you can get coatings that will push them past 2000°F. The bigger problem is that you need one of those big vacuum machines and an oven to cure the resin.. which I don't have. On the other end, I think they'd have been made already if it were possible.

Really, I don't know why I even thought about it except to do something a little different.

Last edited:
I just remembered that I measured the temperature another way as well....as my skin melted when the back of my leg hit the side pipe....the temperature was just about FUCKING HOT.

I just remembered that I measured the temperature another way as well....as my skin melted when the back of my leg hit the side pipe....the temperature was just about FUCKING HOT.

Got the same "tattoo" on the side of the leg from my wife's bike,didnt take long and a 2 inch diameter piece of skin stayed on the pipe.

I have one from kick starting a '60 panhead that my dad bought at a steal cause it wasn't running right. It's barely visible anymore.. probably been about 7 years.

:cussing:

I have one from kick starting a '60 panhead that my dad bought at a steal cause it wasn't running right. It's barely visible anymore.. probably been about 7 years.

:cussing:

I have light/white untannable marks on my arms, from headers, and once even hitting the alt out stud with my metal watch band, and branding my arm with it....:bomb: you know the bitch of it,? I never felt it as it was happening....

:bomb::flash:

Unbelieveably hot. Like frying bacon in a cast iron skillet. I'm with Gene- I've got a spot on my wrist from a watchband from 30 some years ago. I don't wear any rings or a watch anymore. I had to cut the watchband with sidecutters to ge tthe watch off.

I would say the side tubes are do-able... I remember running my hookers with no baffles when I first got them. I had the ceramic coated ones. I was amazed at how not-scaldingly hot they were. Cool enough to give you a second to realize you are about to burn your leg. As soon as I put the baffles in the temps went way up. Thats when I started giving out free tattoos... :clobbered:

Thats why I didn't put side pipes on mine, first time the wife burnt her leg they would have ended up in the bin.

Doug

I would say the side tubes are do-able... I remember running my hookers with no baffles when I first got them. I had the ceramic coated ones. I was amazed at how not-scaldingly hot they were. Cool enough to give you a second to realize you are about to burn your leg. As soon as I put the baffles in the temps went way up. Thats when I started giving out free tattoos... :clobbered:

I have to find the link.. but I did find a place that will make them for something like $1300 a tube. Yea, uh, I'm not that rich. I shouldn't have watched the video of the guy hand laying a carbon fiber hood for an old Ski-Doo..