Getting the car under 3k

only more than once or twice.....turtle does have a point, no amount of bolt ons can make up for "seat time".....

That is definately true

But these tires suck as redvetracr has said many times before....goodrocks

I'm gonna try softening them for now and then I'll have to do something else

Maybe a6's

I willing to accept the auto is heavier than a stick....

but in total what DO they weigh...a 200 4r with fluids and cooler, vs a Muncie with all it's stuff...flywheel, clutch/PP/forks/bellcrank, etc??

:bonkers:

If you're anywhere near a transfer & storage company terminal/storage facility, many of them have scales and my experience has been that they'll likely be happy to weigh your ride for a couple of bucks.

:beer:

if he`s going to spend some money he would be better off scaling the car on four separate scales (maybe the stockcar racing cousin has a set of electronic scales)....corner weights are more important than the total weight of the car.........at least to me they are..............redvetracr

my car is right at 3000 with 16 gallons of fuel, cage, both seats & the frame I built to carry the seats and belts under the car. the ROD is 115 lbs wet, the st-10 I took out was 75 max.

I don't have much experience racing CARS but I would concentrate on maintenance & setting up what you have the best you can. I assume you have a notebook for your car with your starting, changes, and final setups for each event, weather conditions, tire temps, times, ect.

Do whatever you can to get SEAT TIME. Then you can look at tires, unsprung weight, suspension quality and adjustability, and overall weight in that order.

:idea:

if he`s going to spend some money he would be better off scaling the car on four separate scales (maybe the stockcar racing cousin has a set of electronic scales)....corner weights are more important than the total weight of the car.........at least to me they are..............redvetracr

Agreed. I've had a set of Longacre scales on my wish list for a long time. Just thought if he wanted a quick reference for total. Forgot about his connection...

Agreed. I've had a set of Longacre scales on my wish list for a long time. Just thought if he wanted a quick reference for total. Forgot about his connection...

Right now I just want a total

I will however scale it on my cousins scale one day

Also

No headlights now :D :thumbs:

Last edited:
my car is right at 3000 with 16 gallons of fuel, cage, both seats & the frame I built to carry the seats and belts under the car. the ROD is 115 lbs wet, the st-10 I took out was 75 max.

I don't have much experience racing CARS but I would concentrate on maintenance & setting up what you have the best you can. I assume you have a notebook for your car with your starting, changes, and final setups for each event, weather conditions, tire temps, times, ect.

Do whatever you can to get SEAT TIME. Then you can look at tires, unsprung weight, suspension quality and adjustability, and overall weight in that order.

:idea:

I don't have a notebook and I really haven't kept track of anything. Thanks for the idea though

I'll start, I'll do it in a thread

When I looked at the AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual) for my 68 SB convertible, it listed a weight of 3050 pounds. The car does have a lot of body flex, which tends to substantiate this weight, since the car does seem to be flimsy.

I now have aluminum wheels, aluminum brake calipers, A ZZ4 equivalent of a stock SB engine..but with aluminum heads and aluminum intake. I've added an aluminum water pump. The car came with an aluminum radiator so that's a draw. The 41 pound rear spring has been replaced with a 9 pound composite spring. The factory exhaust system has been removed and replaced with a lighter 69 sidepipe system. The factory cast iron exhaust manifolds are now replaced with headers. The spare tire carrier and spare tire has been removed (50 pounds). If the car originally weighed 3050 pounds, I'm now easily at 2850 pounds.

The ZZ4 with a hot cam option is rated at 395 HP (I think). I've read that the the factory sidepipes, even though noisier than stock are more restrictive than stock. With it's light weight, it's a pretty quick. (TKO600 and a 3.73:1 rear end). I get wheel chirps easily with it. Going back to that earlier flimsy statement. I think of my 68 as a four wheel motorcycle. I've had the body off the frame and I can see there's not that much that holds the body on the frame. I can see that in some accidents, there wouldn't be much of an impact that would knock the body off of the frame....8 bolts mount the fiberglass body to the frame.

Last edited:
When I looked at the AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual) for my 68 SB convertible, it listed a weight of 3050 pounds. The car does have a lot of body flex, which tends to substantiate this weight, since the car does seem to be flimsy.

I now have aluminum wheels, aluminum brake calipers, A ZZ4 equivalent of a stock SB engine..but with aluminum heads and aluminum intake. I've added an aluminum water pump. The car came with an aluminum radiator so that's a draw. The 41 pound rear spring has been replaced with a 9 pound composite spring. The factory exhaust system has been removed and replaced with a lighter 69 sidepipe system. The factory cast iron exhaust manifolds are now replaced with headers. The spare tire carrier and spare tire has been removed (50 pounds). If the car originally weighed 3050 pounds, I'm now easily at 2850 pounds.

Hi,

I've had my 68 T-top on the scales at a couple of SCCA events.
- No rear leaf, aluminum race coil-overs all around with short springs.
- No spare, cover, AC compressor, jack, etc.
- Aluminum intake manifold, 69 side pipes, auto trans, no brake booster
- Aluminum wheels
- 1/4 tank of fuel

Surprised that the car was still a bit over 3,200 lbs.

Rick

I went through the scales down the road, run by the county at the trash dump.....no, not tossing the car, damnit....:lol::suicide: but my '72 vert insists on weighing 3200+ lbs 200 4r, L98/aluminum rad/serp drive, headers, '89 vette wheels, I would have guessed an easy 200 lbs weight savings, but NO.....

Hi,

- Aluminum wheels
- 1/4 tank of fuel

Rick

Looking at your numbers, it does seem unrealistic to think I'm 350 pounds lighter. Anyhow, the AIM did list 3050 pounds for the stock convertible if I remember correctly.

Hi,

- Aluminum wheels
- 1/4 tank of fuel

Rick

Looking at your numbers, it does seem unrealistic to think I'm 350 pounds lighter. Anyhow, the AIM did list 3050 pounds for the stock convertible if I remember correctly.

Uhhh Huhha methinks that is poly ticks between the truckers and the company......but you never know, they maybe filled the frames with helium upon shipping.....:3rd: