Gear Whine

Only time I ever heard a peep outta any GM p/s steering pump, it was lo on fluid.....and it shut up immediately when thirst was quenched...

them pumps maybe the only part I have NEVER seen a failure on....

Friggin' alternators, are another story....

:nuts:

That's part of what is blowing my mind. I'm dead nuts on the cold full level when the fluid is cold (sitting longer than 2 days). However, the pump begins to whine when it heats up. Usually within 10 minutes of driving with a 5 minute engine warm up in the driveway I'll begin to hear the Whine. I also checked the fluid when it was hot and the level falls between the hot full level and cold full level; at about 75% up. It happens more during turning (even holding the wheel turned in one position in a long curve) as long as the rpm of the engine is high enough (~2000rpm and above). That to me is obvious why its louder in cornering.

I now have a leak in my front end that I need to chase down. I think that's antifreeze but coming from my fuel pump :confused2: Clearly I'm not seeing something right. When I'm under there I'll recheck my steering fluid and see where it is.