Frame mods for 6" backspace

More welding and grinding this weekend. I've had enough of this. Welding is like finally getting your father to let you ride the riding lawn mower. After the intial thrill, it gets old fast, and then you realize "this is work".
So I sprayed it semi-gloss black and declared it finished. I think the frame is as strong here as before. The area I nothched has 3/4" clearance now. The tightest spot now is just above the shock mounts. I only have 1/2" to 9/16" clearance there. Maybe I should have been even more agresive with my trimming. Thanks Twin Turbo for your advice, more juice is great but slower wire speed made things worse.
Bee Jay
Corvette462.jpg
Corvette459.jpg

Last edited:
Keep us updated on the finished product. I am getting ready to do the same modifications to my 68. I have a set of C5 Z06 wheels in the rear with the 2" spacers. There is a little bit of rub on the tire, but I ground away at the frame already. I also am a little bit toed out in the rear to help with the clearance.

Did you have any close clearances with the top portion of the frame? From my memory I was thinking the top side of the frame was the next closest point.

I need to get this done before the power tour comes along, and I have about 12 hrs of driving with rubbing tires:cussing:

thum_4294872d75277b33.jpg

429487899bc184a2.jpg
Hey ML Pettus, I just peeked at your pictures. Check it out. He's running C6 style wheels. Looks great. Are you running C6 Z06 wheel and tire sizes or C5 Z06 sizes like me? Where your tires are rubbing is exactly where I notched. Is that the only place you had rubbing? What does the tire look like where it rubbed? Any danger of blowing the tire? Maybe I could have gotten away with just the initial grinding in my second photo. But now I think I can move up to 19x12 C6 Z06 wheels and tires. That would require me to move in another 3/4", or 6 3/4" backspace. Not possible with only 9/16" clearance above the shock towers. I think I'll just leave it alone. Next project, RPM Air Gap intake and maybe a LT4 Hot Cam roller conversion.
Bee Jay

Last edited: