FINALLY!! Shirley's 383...

Shirley1978

Well ive been buying parts and talking tactics with John at LJ's speed shop in Napa since October of last year and today i just couldnt help but to post some pics.

Quick Specs:
New late modle gm block, 4bolt
all forged Scat rotating assembly, internally balanced
Flat top pistons
9.8:1
kicked out Milodon oil pan
1.5 comp roller tip rockers
Weiland Stealth intake
AFR 195s 65cc w/ upgraded springs
286hyd roller comp cam
and either a 650 or 750 holley carb, depending which one dynos better :D

Pics
Jun15_0001.jpg
Jun15_0002.jpg
Jun15_0003.jpg

i was originally going to build it myself, but John has never had good experiences with dynoing engines built outside of his shop. long story short he gave me an offer to assemble and dyno i couldnt refuse ;)

dyno should take place either tomorrow or wed, ill post the a vid when its all done. should have it in the car in the next two weeks

that is all, for now :thumbs:

-Jonny

i was originally going to build it myself, but John has never had good experiences with dynoing engines built outside of his shop. long story short he gave me an offer to assemble and dyno i couldnt refuse ;)

Can't beat that with a sharp stick.

i dont have the numbers yet, but its got a nice flat torque curve, you can actually make out the #s in the vid.. the max hp was 453, and max torque that i saw in the vid was 460ish.. pretty stout...

when i first talked to john he ballparked me a 8k budget, we came in at 7750, including new carb, flywheel, and a clutch. im pretty happy with everything

i remembered my compression wrong, its actually 9.6:1.. go figure

anywho.. here go some pics from today, i got my camera that the shop used to take pics of my engine while it was being built... so when i get those ill start the another thread with all the goodies.. till then here are a few pics from today :thumbs:

DSC02815.jpg
nothin like a 383 in your rear view
DSC02816.jpg

DSC02821.jpg
engine out
DSC02822.jpg
i suspected i needed a new clutch, and i was right.. the replacement
centerforce dual friction
DSC02825.jpg

DSC02826.jpg

Sweet.... can't wait to see the pics that the shop took. I bet you can't wait to get it on the road.. .. :devil::devil:

Is that a one pc rear main seal block ? You said late model 4-bolt block but it looks like it's driver side dipstick ??

I have the same Milodon pan but mine is passenger side dipstick. Do you know if the pan had to be clearanced for the stroker ??

Last edited: