Ephinay.....my kids will never know

I too have over 200 LP's, but I been turning them into CD's. I bought this turntable from Ion that hooks up to the computer via a USB port. It comes with software to take out the hiss and pop noises. Not a 100% but hey, I'm listening to the stones and led zeppelin in the garage. I paid little more than a 100. :cool:

ANALOG FOREVER

34976841d3305d.jpg

Tape, equaliser, amps, and crossover are Crown "Legend" series, driving a pair of bi amped Altec "Voice of the Theaters." The turntable is a B&O linear tracker with a High end stylus, tracking over 1,000 Classic and Rock LP's. :drink:

ANALOG FOREVER

34976841d3305d.jpg

Tape, equaliser, amps, and crossover are Crown "Legend" series, driving a pair of bi amped Altec "Voice of the Theaters." The turntable is a B&O linear tracker with a High end stylus, tracking over 1,000 Classic and Rock LP's. :drink:

That equalizer there is to take out the one note squawk of the horn speakers......:waxer::devil::pprrtt:

NOW if the Lansing bros. knew how to build a speaker like Roger Russell did at McIntosh.....you wouldn't have to listen to all that false loading, damping, and phase shifting.....

:pprrtt:

Funny thing Gene. The horns are pretty flat, the woofers need boost. :wink:

As for that wheel to wheel, it reminds me of my BIL's lab/office in the basement of Library of Congress....

I had ONE deck with wheels that size....long ago...

used to work on AMPEG decks like that....they used primarily for MUZAK use where the tapes reversed and they switched head inputs, and played the same tape 50 million times over and over again....

we used to call it 'elevator music'....

:devil:

As for that wheel to wheel, it reminds me of my BIL's lab/office in the basement of Library of Congress....

used to work on AMPEG decks like that....they used primarily for MUZAK use where the tapes reversed and they switched head inputs, and played the same tape 50 million times over and over again....

Muzack:noob:

Nice stuff. I had a similar setup with a Tascam 8 track reel to reel and Sound Craftsman components. Really nice stuff. Sounded great especially considering it was only 1/2inch tape. Wind that thing up to 30IPS the sound was unbelievable.

They even around anymore, or are the stores/elevators using commercial stations now???

I remember the 3/4 hp size synch capstan motors they ground tape at 1 7/8 IPS, and the take up/reel motors were about 4" diameter.....

the heads ground on for about 1/4 inch of steel worn off after a year of use or so....then it was tear down and o'haul completely...

Schrader Sound Wash DC.....sis knew one of the owners....Doc somethig, I forget his name.....

I think he old out to Myer EMCO I suppose Ed Myer is long gone by now, but the company is still there next to VOB Datsun.....

:shocking: funny I can remember all this useless shit, but yesterday??? fuck no....

:mad::hi:

Nice stuff. I had a similar setup with a Tascam 8 track reel to reel and Sound Craftsman components. Really nice stuff. Sounded great especially considering it was only 1/2inch tape. Wind that thing up to 30IPS the sound was unbelievable.

Also good stuff. I almost bought a Crown 1" deck once. Too big. Fortunately, when Crown stopped with tape, the head tech retired and bought all the spare parts. I had him overhaul the deck before he died. Sould last another 1,000,000 hours.:yahoo:

One of my friends had Sound Craftsman/and either Lux or Mc Intosh tube amps.

The kids hate it when they play a CD and I say "Sounds like shit." BUT, they also LOVE IT when I crank up their fav. classic rock tunes on Vinyl.

They even around anymore, or are the stores/elevators using commercial stations now???

I remember the 3/4 hp size synch capstan motors they ground tape at 1 7/8 IPS, and the take up/reel motors were about 4" diameter.....

the heads ground on for about 1/4 inch of steel worn off after a year of use or so....then it was tear down and o'haul completely...

Schrader Sound Wash DC.....sis knew one of the owners....Doc somethig, I forget his name.....

I think he old out to Myer EMCO I suppose Ed Myer is long gone by now, but the company is still there next to VOB Datsun.....

:shocking: funny I can remember all this useless shit, but yesterday??? fuck no....

:mad::hi:

The chains have Muzack piped in chain wide via sat links. Corporate decides the programs. Iv'e worked on some, but forget the names.

LUX, man that even predates Marantz, and Crown, .....wasn't that British???

remember the Grundig and Blaupunkt TABLE top radios in the nice wood cabinets.....I still have a Tandburg TCD300, not used in years, decades now...

log gone are Viking, Sony, and many other brands.....Harmon Kardon, Fisher, Scott, Garrard, and that German TTable maker...with the heavy platter and the gray base and silver levers...not Telefunken...but shit, memory fades, had one of their tables, it was pretty good for a changer....

back years ago I used to buy/sell stereo gear....making a profit to support my habit....always some system to sell....

used to build and sell many speakers.....all sorts of designs from horns to corner folded horns, to bass reflex to even tried acoustic suspension once....

Roger Russell at McIntosh used to rent a crane and hoist the speakers in the air about 100' or so, and do the tests there to get the units set for flat responce, and leave the room tuning to other fancy equalizer efforts, which I still have one of them even....

along with a Phase Linear 5000 tuner, and a 1000 dynamic range expander....

picked up a HELL of a hobby from my brother in law there....

damn shame, even for a liberal, he died in '85 thanksgiving day....Dad dies on Feb 9th '86 my anniversary at that time....

shit happens...:hi:

Good stuff is getting really hard to get and $$$$$. I think I paid $600 for my last B&O stylus. I paid last than that to get the Altecs reconed. Bastards aren't the same now.
Phase Linear. Haven't heard of them for awhile. I think Crown was bought by Harmon Kardon? They still have their own line, but big $$$$$$$$ too.

Got no klew, Bird, the kids will be 25 & 27 in a couple months, and I dropped the hobby when meeting their mom, wife #2..,......picked it up when she left, but I remember the kid's crowd being impressed with the old man's stereo back when little....early teens....turn that thing up and levitate them....:bounce::bounce::hissyfit::hissyfit::bump: Run Lucy smack outta there all pissed off and all...she was the g/f I lived with afterwards....

She was NOT one for monkeybusiness, one of 3 daughters from a American diplomatic pro state dept/ ambassador type.....used to Europe and the middle east, islamic countries....

my kids started cutting up one sunday morning, she slapped the table good and proper, and they took off running....

no more cutting up at the food table since then....

Tom says to this day they both hated her, glad to see her go....because she didn't put UP with bullshit, not for a microsecond tolerated by her parents, old tyme european tradition....so it carried forth...
frankly, honestly I liked it that way...better discipline makes life easier.....

:amazed::crylol::hissyfit::goodevil:

I forget the name but do you guys remember the speakers that actually rotated as they played to better create the stereo imaging effect? WTF where they? There were four or five cones that went around in circles.

I forget the name but do you guys remember the speakers that actually rotated as they played to better create the stereo imaging effect? WTF where they? There were four or five cones that went around in circles.

ELAC MIRACHORD, that was the name of that turntable/changer above.....

you speakers....I want to say Dynaflex or something similar, but yes I remember them....talk about phase distortion.....:rofl::surrender: definately fuck with your mind fo sho.....

;)

Whurlitzer?:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Quality speakers are like a good paint job......makes all the difference. Both analog and digital systems can do much better than the human ear. Digital can do it cheaper and more accuratly if designed correctly.

Oldie but Goodie :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSaayEn61EI&eurl=http://www.webtvhub.com/funny-blaupunkt-commercial-teddy-and-bunny-get-intimate/

Bullshark

WHen talking solid state people spend WAYYY too much on amps and WAYYY too little on speakers. I always said speakers should cost twice as much as the amps.

A good set of speakers on a less expenisve amp will out perform a kick ass amp and so so speakers, every time.

Quality speakers are like a good paint job......makes all the difference. Both analog and digital systems can do much better than the human ear. Digital can do it cheaper and more accuratly if designed correctly.

Oldie but Goodie :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSaayEn61EI&eurl=http://www.webtvhub.com/funny-blaupunkt-commercial-teddy-and-bunny-get-intimate/

Bullshark

WHen talking solid state people spend WAYYY too much on amps and WAYYY too little on speakers. I always said speakers should cost twice as much as the amps.

A good set of speakers on a less expenisve amp will out perform a kick ass amp and so so speakers, every time.

Good point. Still, if you like clean sounds with a lot of head-room, spend as much on both as you wife will allow. :hissyfit:When I purchased my Home Theater a few years ago, I bought Yamaha, 770 watts rms total (2nd from their best) receiver and Klipsch Reference series speakers (2nd from their best also). For movies, it's a great system. Sad to say, for music they don't hold a candle to my old Pioneer SX1250 and Speakerlab system.