E-bay find;evaluate this shortblock pls

Imo Apita

While browsing along for my everlasting 383 build came across this shortblock:

THIS IS A BUDGET SMALL BLOCK CHEVY 388 STROKER SHORTBLOCK, BLOCK IS A FOUR BOLT MAIN 350 BORED 4.060. DECKED 8.990, NEW CAM BEARINGS AND EXPN PLUGS INSTALLED , CRANK IS A 400 CHEVY CRANK GROUND TO A 383 CRANKS MAINS .010 RODS .020, RODS ARE 400 CHEVY RESIZED WITH ARP ROD BOLTS, PISTONS ARE SEALED POWER HYPER FLAT TOPS PRESS PIN , CLEVITE ROD AND MAIN BEARINGS, ROTATING ASSEMBLE IS EXTERNALLY BALANCED, 400 BALANCER AND NEW 400 FLEXPLATE ARE INCLUDED , ALL BEARING CLEARENCES CHECKED WHEN ASSEMBLED, THIS IS PERFECT FOR ANYBODY WANTING A INEXPENSIVE BUILT 388 SHORTBLOCK

My block is still sitting in the shed waiting for an overbore and I know I can't build it for the "buy it now" price of this block $950 + $150 shipping.
Apart from the spelling errors anybody care to give me an opinion on the above listed combo?

I planned on using a White Performance 383 internally balanced rotating assembly with forged pistons selling for $795.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Which one is the better choice and why?
Thanks......:bounce:

I see only negatives on the engine listed:

.060 over bore (can't be bored again)
Externally balanced
400 crank (cast) .020 is a lot, no future cuts
No deck left on block (pistons now are .010 out of the hole)
Short 400 rod length (not good fro piston side loading}
Cast pistons

I would only build with internally balanced components. The e-bay listing is better.

got to give the seller some credit: he is advertizing this as a budget stroker, sounds honest to me and at that price what can you possibly expect ??

I completely agree: cannot be bored again, used old crank that was re-ground and is externally balanced... block is decked to 8.990" means that with the flat tops he installed you cannot use any 64cc aluminum heads unless you want the CR to be way up there....ok, on a $950 short block you would not use $1000 heads anyways....

With some iron heads and a thick gasket it might be a nice engine for a truck... if they built it correctly then why would it not be good for 100K or more miles ??

Disclaimer: For all I know it could be a POS that some 13 year old slapped together...

Why you would use ARP bolts on this budget build ... dunno.... maybe leftovers from another project ???

We sonic test alot of GM blocks and find very few that we would use for a 388 stroker at .060 over.

I am sure it was not plate honed and at .060 you will get more cylinder distortion when the heads are bolted on!! I bet you would not be happy with a leak down test at TDC.

It really does not lok like a quality peice to me but your getting what you pay for.

I have never seen a 383 stroker kit where 8.990 was zero deck all the ones we have done have been 9.000 for zero deck HMMMMMMM

Buy locally, not long distance, this way if there is a problem you will be able to resolve it easily. Distance insulates the seller and puts the burden on you if a problem arises.
I know little about the technical statements made here, but I can tell you from past experience - don't buy e-bay motors - I learned the hard way.

just buy a 88-91 roller cam 350 block and have it clearanced for a ZZ-383 crank and you can run stock rods and stock bore and have a 383.