Dyno's running, now what?

As with every driveshaft, you need to keep misalignment within limits. The vibration destroys almost every bolt in due time.

As for that big red switch killing the ignition.... well I don't think that would suffice. Let say, you are running 7000 rpm and the water pressure/flow falls away because the hose comes off or something like that. Almost instantly the engine will skyrocket to 10000 + rpm. I don't think you would have enough time to kill it...hence I think the electronics are more secure. Of coarse i will have a big red button to press, but it will not be my first line of safety measures.

Steve,

How much torque/hp can it take and at which rpm ?

Totally agree with that sentiment. With the first bang I was doing the 6 second mile out of there. I wouldn't have hit any red button unless it was well in front of me. Thought about a lanyard to a jumper but how restrictive is that.

The RPM switch is gonna be very useful but cannot be the only safety. Someone has suggested a trapeze overhead. Another useful idea.

The correct solution is to build a bomb room and be outside of it whilst doing the tests. Not a viable option in my case. For the cost of that I could have Penske run my program for a year.

I have to assess my hazards and develop accordingly. I'm not doing 1000 HP Top Fuel motors. I'm doing 200 HP vintage race motors. The risks vary although the intrinsics remain the same.

Still stewing on the way forward, I'm sure I'll choose the path of least resistance....:fishing:

As with every driveshaft, you need to keep misalignment within limits. The vibration destroys almost every bolt in due time.

As for that big red switch killing the ignition.... well I don't think that would suffice. Let say, you are running 7000 rpm and the water pressure/flow falls away because the hose comes off or something like that. Almost instantly the engine will skyrocket to 10000 + rpm. I don't think you would have enough time to kill it...hence I think the electronics are more secure. Of coarse i will have a big red button to press, but it will not be my first line of safety measures.

Steve,

How much torque/hp can it take and at which rpm ?

Totally agree with that sentiment. With the first bang I was doing the 6 second mile out of there. I wouldn't have hit any red button unless it was well in front of me. Thought about a lanyard to a jumper but how restrictive is that.

The RPM switch is gonna be very useful but cannot be the only safety. Someone has suggested a trapeze overhead. Another useful idea.

The correct solution is to build a bomb room and be outside of it whilst doing the tests. Not a viable option in my case. For the cost of that I could have Penske run my program for a year.

I have to assess my hazards and develop accordingly. I'm not doing 1000 HP Top Fuel motors. I'm doing 200 HP vintage race motors. The risks vary although the intrinsics remain the same.

Still stewing on the way forward, I'm sure I'll choose the path of least resistance....:fishing:

Don't know what you mean with a bomb room, but I intend to build a room with concrete blocks in my cellar with some sound insulation.
The rest (temp, pressure, rpm) will be monitored with the electronics. (which is on two levels btw, namely one is controlled by my engine's ecu and the other by the dyno-electronics.

Too bad the essay i have here is in dutch, otherwise I think it could come in handy for you.

Well, I guess I already blew something up!:twitch:

When I made the joke that I could now blow up engines at home without the miles to the track the old Triumph Competitions Director, Kas Kastner, got real mad and told me I'd never damage an engine on the dyno if I was paying attention. He's been a kind of mentor for this project.

All of us West Coast Triumph racers are benefitting from his years of professional experience. He's kicked butt at LeMans with both Triumphs and Nissan!

Hell of a guy!!

Well, I guess I already blew something up!:twitch:

When I made the joke that I could now blow up engines at home without the miles to the track the old Triumph Competitions Director, Kas Kastner, got real mad and told me I'd never damage an engine on the dyno if I was paying attention. He's been a kind of mentor for this project.

All of us West Coast Triumph racers are benefitting from his years of professional experience. He's kicked butt at LeMans with both Triumphs and Nissan!

Hell of a guy!!

I think I talked to Kas via email before...