Do bumpsteer blocks help tire clearence

Yellow73SB

My tire is rubbing on the steering arm and tie rod end and it's cutting the sidewall on my tire

I'm surprised one didn't blow out

No, it makes the end of the steering arm even bulkier. It does move the tie rod end. Do you have a picture?

did dad buy the wrong offset wheels? did you upgrade the studs yet? there is always the aluminum spacer route....I have always run them...for a different reason but I never had a problem.
redvetracr

It just the 15x8 stock rallys that have been on for awhile

The steering arm and tie rod are rubbing

I think I need a bit more than the grinder can take out

5/8 studs are on the way now though

you might not have as big a sidewall bulge with the correct (wider) wheels. And beware, I sort of remember hearing about guys racing years ago with factory rallye wheels ripping the centers out so be careful.....

I'll have to see how the new 26.5x9 hoosiers fit on the 10" wheels

I may go with 10" front of 8"

I know it would be a PITA to do properly, but might one be able to alter a C3 knuckle to address this, solve for bumpsteer and custom tweak Ackerman all at the same time? ...or is there not enough to play with?? I don't want to take on such a task, as the likelyhood of screwing up is probably very high, but I'm just curious here.

BTW, what's the section width vs. wheel width here?

Last edited:
$70 on Ebay, safe and will solve your problem... you could remove the studs from the adapter and run a long 5/8" stud all the way thru the adapter and simply sandwich it, probably stronger than using a second set of shorter 7/16" studs - it's still hubcentric on axle and rim:

IM000686.jpg

$70 on Ebay, safe and will solve your problem... you could remove the studs from the adapter and run a long 5/8" stud all the way thru the adapter and simply sandwich it, probably stronger than using a second set of shorter 7/16" studs - it's still hubcentric on axle and rim:

NO WAY I would do that above, no way in HELL....hub centric or not....

I been running 2.5" VBP adaptors for some 15 years now and they are fine the way designed......no way in hell I would use long studs and that thing sandwiched in there....seen too much BS over the decades and I don't care WTF anyone says....why take a chance???

quit reinventing the wheel, well maybe we can change designs, but it still has 5 lugs and is more or less round.....so the invention remains a wheel....

:fishing::thumbs:

Is the tire bias or radial... I have 275/50's 15" radials on the front with a 4" bs rim 10" wide and have no issues at all. I'm thinking about going to 295/50 on the front and 4.5 bs on an 11 inch wide rim.

Are you accounting for deflection in maximum performance situations?

Gene, that was not my idea. Hubcentric wheel spacers come in different designs, most have a second set of studs but some are sandwiched.
Hubcentric and sandwiched has even been tested and approved for legal street use in Europe, the german TUV has about the strictest testing criteria you can imagine, they are so anal it's unreal...and even they approve use of hubcentric sandwiched spacers with the correct (longer and stronger) studs.
I have run 15mm (5/8) sandwiched spacers myself when I lived over there, 135mph was as fast as the little car would go on the Autobahn.... never had a stud break or a wheel fly off....

The only reason spacers have a bad reputation here in the US is all the garbage that can legally be sold here... they should ban these potmetal spacers and fine the companies who sell this junk. There are people who buy this junk and install a 1/4" potmetal disc that is not even parallel, don't use longer studs and instead trust that the two threads that are engaged are good enough to hold the wheel on the axle.... :bullshit:

I know it would be a PITA to do properly, but might one be able to alter a C3 knuckle to address this, solve for bumpsteer and custom tweak Ackerman all at the same time? ...or is there not enough to play with?? I don't want to take on such a task, as the likelyhood of screwing up is probably very high, but I'm just curious here.

BTW, what's the section width vs. wheel width here?

I think they are 11.5" section width on an 8" wheel. There made for an 8" wheel though

I'm not going to running them anymore though

The new tires are listed as 9" wide and will probably have over a 12" section width

Gene, that was not my idea. Hubcentric wheel spacers come in different designs, most have a second set of studs but some are sandwiched.
Hubcentric and sandwiched has even been tested and approved for legal street use in Europe, the german TUV has about the strictest testing criteria you can imagine, they are so anal it's unreal...and even they approve use of hubcentric sandwiched spacers with the correct (longer and stronger) studs.
I have run 15mm (5/8) sandwiched spacers myself when I lived over there, 135mph was as fast as the little car would go on the Autobahn.... never had a stud break or a wheel fly off....

The only reason spacers have a bad reputation here in the US is all the garbage that can legally be sold here... they should ban these potmetal spacers and fine the companies who sell this junk. There are people who buy this junk and install a 1/4" potmetal disc that is not even parallel, don't use longer studs and instead trust that the two threads that are engaged are good enough to hold the wheel on the axle.... :bullshit:

Yeh, I hear you, still don't like the concept though...

:trumpet::clobbered:

I installed bumpsteer blocks in the off season, no other changes. All aligned up I have noticeably less steering radius and am considering wheel spacers at this time. Anyone have any?