Check, check, and double check

gkz

Received my block back from a local machine shop, highly recommended by chevy guys. After reading Grumpy's tech article on sealants, I was weary when orange RTV was seen on my rear NPT. Sure enough, pulled the plugs and the sealant disintegrated into gobs inside the galleys from the machine oil. Outside gobs were extremely bloated.

2011-07-24001002.jpg

2011-07-24001001.jpg

Yeah, I'd be a little worried about that too. What I learned from my time as an industrial mechanic is that THIS STUFF is the shit. I use this on just about any fitting that needs to seal and stay put. We put cast iron compressor housings together using only this stuff as the sealant. If it will hold 125psi at 220*, it will hold oil galley plugs.

RTV is a piss poor thread sealer, I would THINK it would suffice, but never has....not once, and certainly not for any OIL passage ....teflon tape or paste, or that RED thread locker hell yes....

:hissyfit: maybe get a vacuum cleaner in there to suck that out??

oil passages...jeebus....paranoia reigns supreme....

:hissyfit::cry::flash::goodnight:

I agree with you on this one Gene! RTV is NOT a thread sealer! Teflon tape really isn't either though. Teflon tape is actually a thread lubricant, but it does act as a sealer in some aplications, and since it's teflon, it has good heat resistant properties. I've used Permatex thread sealer with good results.

I didn't preview my post properly; I should have said "dissolved," not disintegrated. When I squeezed it between my fingers, it (oil & RTV) mixed like coffee and cream.