Cam gear drives

A co-worker has a Jackson setup on his 383; the whine is very subdued--just enough to let you know it's there.

and if you get the quiet version, check the clearances carefully, and use a molly assembly lube durring the assembly, process, youll find that after a few thousand miles the sound levels dropped off too almost un-noticable, in fact unless its spinning up about 6000 rpm its almost not decernable

I was told the knock sensors do not react well with gear drives....so did not use one on my engine....sold it to GURU some time ago....

but now there are quiet ones that maybe good to use??

cost and availability....???

:chinese::flash:

A co-worker has a Jackson setup on his 383; the whine is very subdued--just enough to let you know it's there.

and if you get the quiet version, check the clearances carefully, and use a molly assembly lube durring the assembly, process, youll find that after a few thousand miles the sound levels dropped off too almost un-noticable, in fact unless its spinning up about 6000 rpm its almost not decernable

I was told the knock sensors do not react well with gear drives....so did not use one on my engine....sold it to GURU some time ago....

but now there are quiet ones that maybe good to use??

cost and availability....???

:chinese::flash:

Straight cut gears are always noisier than helical gears. I don't see it.

Last edited:
I bet all the gear drives currently available will make a knock sensor go apeshit. That little bit of backlash in the gears will sound like the second coming to a sensor. It'd back the timing up to Thursday last week.

Hi

Some people find sidepipes annoying

That's only because they can't affort any or are not allowed to install them for whatever reason.:harhar:

Rgds. Günther

I ran one, Ersion (spelling) I think, it was loud, couldn't here the motor due to the gear drive. I liked it, most thought I had a blower. Down side was couldn't here the motor noises to tell if everything was alright over the gear drive.

Neal

I have heard dozens of them and they all sound like crap.
Go with a Cloyes true double roller chain and gear set.

sound bite?

how about a completely stock LS7? I hate street gear drives. There sound is as if something is/was worn or wearing out...:bump:

[ame]http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/waltspuffer/Camaros/?action=view&current=68RedLS7.flv[/ame] the "STOCK" 454 LS7 crate engine

+ and - already addressed.......
Video of our 65 with a Pete Jackson gear drive....the motor now has a Gilmer type (1.5 in wide) alternator drive kit.....which also adds whine.....
[ame="http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee51/cooleyenterprises/?action=view&current=65vetterunning.flv"]http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee51/cooleyenterprises/?action=view&current=65vetterunning.flv[/ame]

Are you talking about those 150$ gilmer drives? If so, what type of alternator bracket did you use? If one uses a summit alu bracket you need a belt a mile long. What a POS.

Do you have a pic? The summit one required the use of a 52" belt.

What kind of engine is in that car? SBC? BBC??

This is what doesn't fit:

248e632c47cf10.jpg

Do you have a pic? The summit one required the use of a 52" belt.

What kind of engine is in that car? SBC? BBC??

This is what doesn't fit:

248e632c47cf10.jpg

I can post a pic later today or this evening.......I can also give you a list of the part numbers.....The 65 has a 358 in it.......the alternator bracket kit is a passenger side -top mount system for a long pump.....the 42" belt was needed for proper clearance @ bottom support bracket and alternator fan [kit came with a 40" belt]......Hope this info helps......