C6 steering - clunking noise on center

MYBAD79

Can't feel this when driving 30+ mph but at a red light I can feel a clunking/catching "hump" at center when I move the steering wheel approx 1/2 left/right. With the PS pump off I can't feel it... it appears that at 40mph and faster the input from the tires is sortof masking the 'feel' - also the PS support is speed dependant so there's less PS support at 40-50mph than there is at a dead stop.
I searched several message boards and found only little info: one guy said they replaced his intermediate shaft and this problem went away...

Anyway... I dropped the car off at the dealer and told them that since it's only noticeable when the PS pump is running it is not likely the shaft but I suspect it's more likely the rack......that was three weeks ago....

They replaced the intermediate shaft but that didn't fix it.... then the ordered a new steering column (upper shaft) for me, replaced that and still I can feel the "catch" at center....

I did not even have to ask for it, when I got there to pick up the car they siad they're sorry that it's not fixed yet but they already ordered a complete new rack and pinion unit for me .... LOL... :D

That's what you get for driving a C-6!! :stirpot:

After your description, I'd have to guess the rack. It may be moving in the mounts or the center has a machining problem. Maybe the gear teeth have a mesh problem in the center. 1/2" off center from the steering wheel might be putting it out of the "center" and it's just a wee bit tight there.

Be interesting to see what the fix is. And if the rack is the fix, it's a shame you wont' be able o open it up and see where/what the problem really is.
:friends:

Dam I hope that this is a warranty job because it sounds like they don't know what is wrong and they are throwing parts at it till they find the problem.:suspicious:

Yup..... just yesterday they installed a new rack and now it feels like a new car, just like it should....

I got many new parts, all covered by factory warranty :bounce:

I got many new parts, all covered by factory warranty :bounce:

glad they fixed it for you. It is amazing the way repair is approached these days, just replace parts until prob goes away. Heck the manual is written such, simple diagnostic to point to the right system then start replacing parts. good thing for warranties.

steve