C6 - long tube headers - install

MYBAD79

I bought these OBX headers on our famous auction website for a little over $700 shipped, seemed to be a great deal.... and it is !!! These headers fit well and the flanges are thick (3/8").

They are much prettier than the stock cast iron clunkers;

214be74f52ea820.jpg
214be74f53dbded.jpg

The clamps that came with these headers are rubbish, as well as the bolts for the header to resonator (or cat) connection.

I fitted the entire system under the car and then tack welded the pieces, removed the whle thing and welded the joints - lucky I bought some stainless wire for another project a while back....

214be74f5527347.jpg
214be74f5577c73.jpg
replaced the rubbish bolts with Grade8 hardware:

214be74f55b4d0a.jpg.
All pretty......
214be74f5629a89.jpg
I ran the engine for a minute today - no leaks and it sounds so much better than the stock exhaust. Unfortunately the O2 sensor extensions that I bought are too short, these are 12" and the need to be 24". Can't wait to get it on the road for some more "testing".

The mufflers are Borla knockoffs that I also bought on Ebay, $350 shipped if I remember correctly.... so now I have a complete stainless exhaust for roughly $1200. I already put 10000 miles on the Ebay mufflers and so far so good, no complaints....

2149aff77780886.jpg

What else? The stock spark plug wires are junk, three came apart when I pulled them off the spark plug.... nice... after only 37K miles....

The stock header gaskets can be re-used. I bought new gaskets but the used (multi layer steel) are still in good shape. Since I bought new ones I used them....wasted $35.... the gaskets that come with the headers are junk just like the clamps or the bolts.... still, for $700 a sweet deal on the headers. If you don't have a welder add 4 Accuseal clamps for the intermediate pipe, and another 2 clamps or the I-pipe to tailpipe connection.