C3 Drag racing rear IRS

. . .
and if money doesn't matter, Dana 60
thum_2749cab76eafb47.jpg

. . .

Can a Dana 60 even be packaged into an 80-82 batwing? Or does it require a whole different setup?

I would think you be limited to a solid axle as the housing is so wide, I have mess with a few of them...they are HUGE for a car that is....stuck a aftermarket locker in one long time ago....made a weird clicking noise supposedly normal...but it definately locked up....

can't see it in a vette with IRS 1/2 shafts be about 6" long....

;):fishing:

I can kind of understand lowering the bump stop so that it "locks" the wheel travel in place, in other words lowering it so that it's in contact when at rest. But do you mean simply lowering the bump stop to "limit" the amount of travel . . . doesn't that mean it'd slam into the stop on launch?Not if we set your "track snubbers" for ,lets say, 3/8" gap.

BTW, I have a VB&P Dual Mount set to 420 and Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks. It really doesn't squat much at all. I just can't nail it, even on DRs, 2,500 is about the highest I can launch at. I do have a solid pinion mount, but haven't installed it yet. You need to do that.I have solid bushings for the TRs. The diff is an aluminum D44, regeared to 3.73.

Ben, I highly recommend you try the snubber deal.:crylol:

This is why I love this site - no BS just actual information!

TracDogg2 - with the 12 bolt conversion you are fitting the 12 bolt guts into the old iron housing? Do you make the pinion bearing larger also? What are the axles? I have seen that type with the flat mounting flange but I do not know what they are from or why. Last but not least do any of these options change the stub axle at the wheel?

I have sheared the stub axles, removed all the ring gear teeth and split a posi case in half and blown off half a dozen u joints so I all ears!

The bearings inside the corvette diff are already 12 bolt. The carrier and gears are corvette only. The case has to be clearanced to put the 12 bolt 4 series carrier in and the gears are modified, cut down, to fit. The axles are from Toms. These take the 1480 u-joints and convert it from snap ring to c-clip retention.
With the 1480 axles the spindle and flange has to be changed also. It also requires a custon halfshaft. You can get the Toms 1350 stub axles which lets you use the stock halfshaft and spindle/flange set-up. You have to add another flange to the inner joint to bolt to the stub axle.
The spider gears have to be changed and the axle bores in the carrier have to be opened up to use either the 1350 or 1480 stub axles. The axles need to be fitted and the tips heat treated.
Mike